Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, my first post. Although I'm not PLANNING on selling; In the summer of '82, I bought a Mod 13840 4in Python with Colt rubber grips. The Ser # is K6xxxx. Styro box w/woodgrained cardboard sleeve, w/gun info typed on end tag, barcode, and 228 & 3 hand written on upper left and upper right corners of tag, repectively. The finish says it's ENICK. It is in mint condition, never fired outside of the Colt factory (every other chamber). I wrote a letter to the Colt shop in CT while still in the Corps, in about 1984, describing it in detail, to inquire about whether or not it had some custom work done to it. They answered that it hadn't. I don't much care about the value of this piece, but it has become reason for loss sleep, so, what can one or more of you Colt guys/gals tell me about the worth of the absolutely beautiful handgun. I put tens of thousands of rounds through two other Pythons, and never had them retimed. I spent a lot of time on various websites checking it out, just to end up with more questions. ENICK (Coltguard?) is it a low production model? Any info will help. God bless, and, SEMPER FI.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Colt did call their electroless nickel Coltguard. When it was applied to the Python it was called Royal Coltguard ala Royal Blue because the Python was polished to a higher level before finishes were applied. Royal Coltguard was announced in the 1982 catalog, listed in the 1983 catalog and gone by the 1984 catalog apparently in favor of stainless, so it was only available for a couple of years give or take. Based on that, there are certainly fewer of them available than other finishes of the day. Others who follow that more closely may comment on current value, especially if you ask in the Colt Revolvers topic. There are also previous threads about Coltguard Pythons. You should find some with a forum search on electroless python, for example. Here is one: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...sume-royal-colt-guard-finish-my-8-python.html. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts