Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it doesn't wear the pony, I acquired one yesterday and was hoping for a range test of it today. Didn't happen.. Still a good day spent along the hiking trail so I packed it just in case.. Perfect little gun for bears I think... It goes virtually unnoticed and you then only have to outrun whoever you leg wound ... But seriously... I really like the wide low hammer. Anyone have comments on the Ruger ShopKeeper or maybe shot one?

Registered
I looked at one and thought it was really a nifty pistol, but the cylinder appeared to be "bored through" rather than have a taper. Between that, and the price tag (it was over 5 bills around here) I couldn't justify it. I have a ton of 22 pistols that I am partial to though, and if I didn't I may have sprung.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm with you on the price and what it is.. I thought it to be more than I wanted to spend. I fell victim to myself ... It was the dealers first and only one at the time, and thought it to be possibly the only one he'd get for a long while. He now has three more. I'd think a lot harder on how to spend those bills. The fit/finish on it is typical Ruger. Maybe the fun factor will make it more the purchase more justifiable. That is a lot of coin though.

Registered
Never second guess your purchase sir, I am sure it will be a most excellent one. It really did look like a nice trail gun and especially nice to teach the young ones on. I bet it pays for itself in fun in no time

I'm with you on the price and what it is.. I thought it to be more than I wanted to spend. I fell victim to myself ... It was the dealers first and only one at the time, and thought it to be possibly the only one he'd get for a long while. He now has three more. I'd think a lot harder on how to spend those bills. The fit/finish on it is typical Ruger. Maybe the fun factor will make it more the purchase more justifiable. That is a lot of coin though.

Registered
The first one I shot, from a factory rep no less, was a dog !! The second one is a peach and the first cylinder full at 90 yard clangers were all hits. The second one had a better action, a better trigger, a better fit and finish, and was all told just a dandy example of a good Ruger 22 sixgun. The price was excellent on the latter, it was a gift from some pals last September, and that included a flower carved shuck from Mike Barranti. My cup runneth over.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nicely done photo there C&L. The standard bearcat may be a better fit for my hand than the shopkeeper's birds head grip. I have a little too much of my trigger finger on the trigger than I am used to. I have to hold the grip as low as I can. One of the improvements I've noticed is that the ejector housing is also stainless instead of aluminum I believe, which matches it exactly to the rest of the gun finish now.. Not sure if Ruger has started doing that on all the standard bearcats now. Maybe that accounts for some of the higher price tag too.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If only it were in 22 WMR..............................
I'm with ya... Probably the gun that gets my heart racing the most is when I walk into the local gun shop and spot a new trade in of a Colt peacemaker 22 or New Frontier with the complete package with both cylinders.

Administrator
As a retailer , I wish they were more available as they sell quickly . It's a Lipsey's distributor exclusive and they don't get many .

Registered
I picked up a standard stainless Bearcat last year ,fitted a set of Stag grips to it. Shoots well, light and easy to carry on a hike. Something a lot of people are surprised by is that even though it has a transfer bar , it retains the half cock hammer. Makes it more Colt like. Maybe Colt should cut a deal with Ruger to make them parts base on a Single Six frame, fitted with a transfer bar and half cock notch. Before you say why would they sell to a competitor ,they make 1911 frames for a lot of competitors

Premium Member
Well seems I do not have a pic of my original 1993 NEW BEARCAT that came with a 22 LR and a 22MAG cylinders....

Many got returned to the factory for "RECALL REPAIR"....the factory kept the MAG cylinder and sent you a $40 check.....RR

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.