Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody;

A little while back, just before Christmas I was surprised by the mailman who brought a very large carton to my door. I couldn't remember if I'd ordered another gun, or perhaps it was something from eBay, or Amazon perhaps. It had me stumped until I saw the label.

It was a gift from my friend "Rio" one of our own Colt Forum members who had mentioned some time ago that he would like to send me something. I'd almost forgotten about it, but when I opened the carton, there it was, a gorgeous glass covered Colt presentation case for an Officers Model, and a Colt Python.

I thought I'd show it off here so you can all see what a beautiful case it is. I put two of my favorite guns in the case and took a few photos.

"Rio"'s name is Derek, and he lives in the north of England. Derek went to considerable time and expense to get this case here to me safely and undamaged and I just can't thank him enough for this wonderful gift.

Thank you Derek, it's one of the most considerate gifts I've ever received. I'm absolutely thrilled to be able to show it off to all my friends here on the Colt Forum Derek, and to let them all know what a kind and generous man you are. "Thank you" just doesn't seem enough.

Here's a couple of photos.

Bud

Gun Revolver Razor Everyday carry
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Everyday carry

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'll reinforce your story Bud.

I spotted a post Rio had put up here that had the case in it. I immediately knew it was for the Colt Double Diamond Set. I pmd him and told him I would like to buy the case and offered him $350 and I would pay the shipping. He declined my offer saying he hadn't thought about selling and shipping would be a pain.

He turned down $350 to give you a gift! That is what I call a friend.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The pleasure's all mine, Bud. Now you need to get that 6" Python to fill that space properly!!

Bud showed some interest in this case when I first put it up but the cost of shipping was going to be a stumbling block and with it having the glass top I was not able to insure it. Then someone posted a story about a friend giving him a captured battle flag (forget the campaign) which kinda choked me a little. I figured that flag meant as much to the donor as this case meant to me. It was given to me by my Colt "guru" and has sat in my loft for many years. My friend passed away over ten years ago and I know if he's looking down now he won't mind me giving the case to another friend who can put it to good use. The firearms situation over here means that I'll never be able to fill it so in the end it was a 'no-brainer'. A little extra packaging to try and protect the glass and a few days sweating until it finally arrived safely.

God bless you, Bud. You really are a "white hat" good guy.

Rio

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tony, and thanks to everyone who responded so kindly to this post.

Derek truly is a dear friend, and it's not just about the display case. I also know that there's another, more personal side of Derek, and that a while back he did something for me that touched my heart.

Derek says that I'm "one of the white hats" the "good guys", and I really appreciate him saying that, but I can assure you, his hat is waaaaaaaaay whiter than mine is. I'm learning how to make mine a little whiter every day though.

Thanks again everyone, and especially you, Derek. Oh, and by the way, I still have that other little item in my shirt pocket every day.

Bud

THIS is the Colt Forum; a wonderful place for wonderful friends and members. Thanks for sharing this Bud, and Derek, lead on sir!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
......God bless you, Bud. You really are a "white hat" good guy.

Rio
I'd say Rio's got you pegged, Bud. A super classy display case for two super classy Colts. A fitting gift for our classy "White Hat Good Guy" from up North. :D

Reactions: Matchlock

·
Registered
99 Posts
Outstanding gesture Rio. Where are you located in England? Spent a great deal of time in military over there, RAF Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Feltwell in Norfolk/Suffolk area and time at RAF Edzell in beautiful Scotland. Being as my wife is British, I typically travel back to see family every couple of years. Shame laws are the way they are over there now. I saw many a pretty colt, winchesters, etc back in early 1980s that owners had and shot at our base ranges. Take care. Chuck D.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Well, thanks for all the kind words, guys. Fact is I didn't see this as too big a deal. The Bible tells us that these material things we are collecting won't be worth a great deal on the other side, whichever way you go. I don't have anyone to leave this stuff to and if I wasn't getting any pleasure from that case (apart from the knowledge of where it came from) on this side, so I figured it would be better that someone got something out of it and Bud came out tops. I believe that case is going down his family line so someone else is also going to benefit for a few years to come.

Keystone, if you had contacted me a few weeks earlier you may have made a deal! Sorry. :(

RampantColtFool, there are a few things lying around here that may yet get on to the "giveaway" list if I don't sell them first.

Kolchaka127 - all you gotta do is ask! :D

Tiggir2000, I'm in the North East of England. About 285 miles north of London and 140 south of Edinburgh. Look on a map for Newcastle upon Tyne and we're 25 miles south of there.

Bud, I'm glad you're carrying that other little piece around and hope it gives you as much comfort as mine does to me. In my eyes that little $3 item is more valuable that the case. Take care - talk to you soon.

Rio

·
Registered
625 Posts
Woooooo hooooooo so I still got a chance for something!?!? Rio in all seriousness you know myself and the others were just kidding with you! That doesn't change the fact that you an excellent example of a great person and we need more people like you in this world! I love seeing things like this happen & we all just need to do our part! This is an amazing forum with some great folks and I'm super glad to be a part of it now! Have a blessed day! 🙏

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Derek, and yes indeed, that beautiful Colt display case will be going to my youngest son when that day comes. It'll be a while though as I've decided that I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. I'm on a new heart medicine and have been taught some posture and chest percussion therapy to help lessen the fluid in my lungs and it seems to be working quite well.

As for that little piece of wood, it goes everywhere I go, (well, upstairs and downstairs since I don't go out much anymore), but it just makes me feel good when I know it's in my pocket. I can't explain it Derek, but if I forget to put it in my pocket in the morning when I change shirts, I actually don't feel quite right until I go and get it. I don't know what it is, but I know it's something.

Anyway, it appears that I have inadvertently hi-jacked your post here Derek so I apologize, and get out of here.

All the best to everyone

Bud

<<<<<<<<< [I said:
SNIPPED FOR BREVITY[/I] >>>>>>>>>>> I believe that case is going down his family line so someone else is also going to benefit for a few years to come.

Bud, I'm glad you're carrying that other little piece around and hope it gives you as much comfort as mine does to me. In my eyes that little $3 item is more valuable that the case. Take care - talk to you soon.

Rio

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.