Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting out shooting, I always hated wood grips on 1911s.

I loved the color and look of Walnut or Desert Ironwood, but everything I tried or that came with guns I bough was smooth, even if they were checkered!

Happened to pick up a pair of Wood Caliber combat checkered grips and what a night and day difference! NO MORE automatically buying G10 grips.

Only problem is they are significantly more expensive.

What are your favorite wood grips?

What ones have had the sharpest or grippiest texture?

· Banned
268 Posts
My favorite wooden grips for 1911:
Esmeralda, smooth high grade desert ironwood, with flat bottoms cut for 1911 with magwell.

· *** ColtForum MVP ***
17,151 Posts
THE sharpest are probably the machined G10, Micarta, and Carbon Fiber grips made by VZ Grips.
These are so sharp they can cut your hand, and the company advises using fine sand cloth to smooth the sharp points to a more comfortable feel.

· Premium Member
2,897 Posts

I loved the color and look of Walnut or Desert Ironwood, but everything I tried or that came with guns I bough was smooth, even if they were checkered!

JTQ911,

Here's my Favorite wood Stocks ! (Apparently, installed on this Pistol in the second month of 1912.)

Best Regards,
Air gun Composite material Gun accessory Wood Gun barrel

· Registered
67 Posts

Happened to pick up a pair of Wood Caliber combat checkered grips and what a night and day difference! NO MORE automatically buying G10 grips.

Only problem is they are significantly more expensive.

What ones have had the sharpest or grippiest texture?
Colt double diamond are my favorite and I put on my colt black pair (which I bought from colt years ago. )They are not grippy whatsoever but I’m not going to war either. I have fake G10’s that are great in my opinion. Grey/black-very pretty. I have a pair of walnut reproduction M1911A1 that are nice also. Incorrect reproduction by the way. I could buy grips till I ran out of money

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.