Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW! I just had a thought! Might get around to sending in that Official Police of my dad's to Colt. Just think of the possibilities here - and help me out, fellas, if I miss some ... I never particularly liked the 6" barrel - I assume one can still get as-new replacement barrels? In 4"? How 'bout 2"? I've seen 6" and 4" OP's with extra heavy factory barrels, too? Is there such a thing as a target hammer like on my .357 that'll fit the OP? The finish on this gun's pretty bad - will Royal Blue cover it? Hey - I COULD have it nickeled, huh? What can you tell me here, guys? Why, I could order up a custom 1926 Official Police, newly nickeled with a heavy 4" barrel and dark walnut Python grips, huh!? Be still my heart! (By the way, the SN on this piece is 555511. Does that tell us something? Over?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well you could possibly get a barrel from Numrich Gun Parts if they are still in stock. A Trooper's hammer may fit (Gun Parts stock numbers are 1 letter apart on the 2 hammers), but the experts will have to tell you about that. For the finishes it will need alot of polishing, but it sounds like it could turn out to be a really nice revolver.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Just got back.....From a BAD PC crash.
My nephew wanted to upgrade me to Windows 2000. BIGGGGGG Mistake.
Had to download a Win2000 Service Pack to get on-line.
When it installed, it blew my PC so bad, it wouldn't even come up in Safe Mode.
I had to re-format the drive and do a fresh install of Windows.

To make a long sad story short, I'm back up and back running Win98-SE.
The next clown that tries to do me a "favor" is going to be ducking Python slugs.

rcwambold:
There are a wide variety of OP barrels in lengths from 2" to 6" at Gun Parts Corporation.

For a target hammer, buy a Officer's Model hammer.

The Trooper hammer WON'T fit....UNLESS you get an early model. The early Trooper's had the firing pin mounted on the hammer like the OP. The later models used a pin mounted in the frame like the Python and 357.

To save the grief, just cut to the chase and order an Officer's Model target hammer.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dear dfarris, Majic and ColtCobra,
Thank You, Gentlemen! I found a quote from someone, but I can't recall where, in which the writer talked about having had a gun re blued by Colt and it cost $200+. He mentioned, too, that they wouldn't do nickel anymore, but I wasn't clear as to whether that was, "at all," or they just won't do it at the plant and send the guns out, instead. Numrich arms I rememeber from days gone by and buying parts when I was on an M-1 carbine kick. They still exist? HOORAY! This IS a rather unusual proposition - at least, new to ME. "If you walked into a gun shop, what possible alteration/specials would YOU like to dream up for an OP Colt? Thank goodness my dad didn't give me Shooting Master - I don't think I could stand the excitement! Now I'm musing with having my .357 and the OP blued to match, ivory, target hammers and serrated triggers on both, new 4", heavy barrels on both ... "and a partridge in a pear tree!" (And all this ruminating is FREE, too!) Tell me YOUR game plan, won't you? Say, I could maybe come up with a .22 Officer's Model to add to the fracas!?

·
Registered
178 Posts
rcwambold
Gun Parts Corp(Numrich) is showing a dizzying array of barrels for the OP and in calibers I never knew they offered. As an OP fancier I would be hard pressed to determine just what the replacement barrel would be for mine. Colt has done excellent work in bringing mine up to specs and did superb refinishing the one time I had a 1911 done in Royal Blue. Sounds like you are on the trail of an interesting firearm. Good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
rcwambold...........
the OP has always been one of my favorite revolvers but based on its clean lines and traditional look. To me it was the classic double action revolver. Therefore I am not inclined to alter it because I liked it as it 'looked'. Same with the New Service and PPS. Alas, the OP never fit my hand or felt right except in single action as the pull was just a little too long for my fingers. But, if I had 'enough' of them I would consider the following modifications:
a heavy 4" barrel, target hammer, perhaps convert one to .41 cal. so it could be made into a .41 'Special', early Python target grips, and a reblue if necessary. I would not mess with the sights less you wind up with a Trooper/357 which could be had otherwise. A 2" barrel might be unique for one but would not be too practical. I would like to have the earlier checkered cylinder release if it did not already have it. Mostly, I would love to have a battery of spare parts (of modern metals or titanium) so that I could shoot it forever. Another expensive alternative would be to get a stainless Python and have the top strap machined to duplicate the OP and then have a special stainless barrel with OP contours made to fit to it. I would then have a stainless OP although at great expense. I trust this is what you were seeking and if not, it made a pleasant pipe dream for me. Have a good one!
CC

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yessir, Mr. CobraSir! RIGHT ON! as they used to say. And your imagination is more fertile than mine, too! I was thinking just about in step with you - 4", heavy barrel, target hammer but leave the smooth trigger that's on it. (I like it best for double action.)Mine does have the checkered cylinder latch and I'd leave it. I agree on the grips, too. (But someday, I want all my collection to have ivory - or stag. I just love the way they feel and I DO live in Kansas!) Yeah, ... ALL my guns ... maybe BOTH would be a better word! The stainless Python sounds exquisite but too rich for my blood! You know, I guess that is THE alternative to this whole thing: leave Dad's gun as Dad's and go buy a new one with what you want. I'm still waiting to hear from somebody that FOUND and SHOOTS a new, stainless Python. I hope they write it up and I read it before I go buy that 5" 1954 model 27 S&W I've been looking at - or the .38 super. About one or two guns a year is all I can negotiate. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColtCobra:
rcwambold...........
the OP has always been one of my favorite revolvers but based on its clean lines and traditional look. To me it was the classic double action revolver. Therefore I am not inclined to alter it because I liked it as it 'looked'. Same with the New Service and PPS. Alas, the OP never fit my hand or felt right except in single action as the pull was just a little too long for my fingers. But, if I had 'enough' of them I would consider the following modifications:
a heavy 4" barrel, target hammer, perhaps convert one to .41 cal. so it could be made into a .41 'Special', early Python target grips, and a reblue if necessary. I would not mess with the sights less you wind up with a Trooper/357 which could be had otherwise. A 2" barrel might be unique for one but would not be too practical. I would like to have the earlier checkered cylinder release if it did not already have it. Mostly, I would love to have a battery of spare parts (of modern metals or titanium) so that I could shoot it forever. Another expensive alternative would be to get a stainless Python and have the top strap machined to duplicate the OP and then have a special stainless barrel with OP contours made to fit to it. I would then have a stainless OP although at great expense. I trust this is what you were seeking and if not, it made a pleasant pipe dream for me. Have a good one!
CC
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Thanks, again, dfarris. Would you hazzard a guess as to what a nickel-job would cost? Educated guess for a reblue is $200 plus, so I'm thinking nickel is about twice that? Say, ... speaking of nickel ... I missed the best Colt trivia question ever. Name the actor and movie that features a 4" Python with a blue frame and nickel barrel and cylinder? Why, by doggies, that ought to be the POSTER BOY for these pages!? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
According to Colt, they still offer nickel plating, but not at the plant.

All nickel plating work is sent out to a specialty plating company.

This is because of EPA problems with the chemicals, and Colt's financial situation.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
"Electra-Glide in Blue", starring that upstanding law and order man, Robert Blake.

Here's two for you:
What "Big" TV star's first Post-TV movie had him carrying a 6" Python?.

What HORRIBLE left-wing "star" (I use the term "star" reluctantly) stuck a 6" Python in a man's face and said:
"Go ahead and do it, DOOOOO it, and yer old Mommas gonna PUKE when she sees what's left of you".
What was the star and the TV show?

I don't know what Colt charges for a nickel re-finish today, but since they send it out, I might be tempted to look at one of the top refinishing companies.

Of course, if Colt is chosen, it still qualifies as a "Factory refinish".

Before I did anything, I'd price the Colt Factory refinish.
I don't think a re-nickel would cost twice as much as blue.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 12-04-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, dfarris, you got mine 100% right! Bobby Blake and his cop Harley show! Loved the gun! I wrote to Colt at the time and got prices and stuff but stayed blue and conservative. Now, nobody sees the gun but me, practically and I can be as gaudy as I want! Your two trivia, I don't have even a bad guess. Sounds like Dirty Harry but everyone knows that was an S&W. I think?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
According to Colt, they still offer nickel plating, but not at the plant.

All nickel plating work is sent out to a specialty plating company.

This is because of EPA problems with the chemicals, and Colt's financial situation.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
The first one was Don Johnson in his first post-"Miami Vice" Hollywood movie.
He played a LA detective chasing a Neo-Nazi cross country.
Big gun battle in an underground bunker complex.

He was a "Detective"????? carrying a 6" Python is a cross draw????? holster.

I think the movie was "Dead Bang".

The second was the execrable Ed Asner in an episode of the excellent "Police Story".

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whoa! There's two that got by me. I must've been watching reruns of, "The Shootist," again. I used to really enjoy Police Story, though. Probably was WORKING! That's ironic. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
The first one was Don Johnson in his first post-"Miami Vice" Hollywood movie.
He played a LA detective chasing a Neo-Nazi cross country.
Big gun battle in an underground bunker complex.

He was a "Detective"????? carrying a 6" Python is a cross draw????? holster.

I think the movie was "Dead Bang".

The second was the execrable Ed Asner in an episode of the excellent "Police Story".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts