Colt Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi, I know this is a very old thread but am new and didn’t know how to start a new one. I have a very good condition Berns Martin “lightnin” triple draw holster made in Elberton Georgia CS. I was wondering if anyone knew the approximate value of these? Not sure how to post pictures. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ~Vince
Easy, use the 'completed auctions' button after a search in eBay; I'd search for 'berns holster' to get maximum search results.

I favor the use of Worthpoint; which I use only to find images but when one wants to get 'value' one must join up.

The 'CS' is for Chiefs Special :). Elberton was the second 'life' for Berns-Martin, a famous mark that is now one of my trademarks. Originally the operation was in Calhoun City MS and they are the better made of the two; that operation began mid-to late 1930s. Closed for the war the company reopened in 1950 and a second operation was opened; these are marked as yours is, Elberton GA. The chap who operated under that mark advised in more than one interview that he had purchased Berns-Martin from Jack Martin in 1962; but during 1963 Jack was still making them in Calhoun City anyway! So more likely a license than a purchase. Jack died in 1968 and all the evidence is that no more Berns-Martins were actually made by subsequent owners of the mark until I acquired it this year. I don't make the old designs, but I did design a better one long ago: the Bianchi 9R1 and 9R2 are better than the Lightnin because the former has cylinder recesses and the springs of the latter are not strong. Think of one as a collectible not a user (the Speed holster quite the contrary, my version made by Calhoun City for Evaluators has a spring that is so perfectly made, and so strong, and so rust-free, that if I'd found a big batch of them that way I'd have made new holsters for them!).

21 - 22 of 22 Posts