Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt New Frontier 4 5/8" 22lr/22mag .At the 15 yard range Im getting just over an inch 5 shot groups benched with CCI Stingers and CCI shorts.Last year in the woods resting in a tree fork I shot 1 1/4" groups with Rem Yellow Jackets at 18 yards,yet at the range last week they were not grouping well.For the Magnums I found Winchester supremes and Super X giving about 1 1/2" groups at 15 yards.Is this about reight for this gun? Has anyone found a great brand that works for them in this sixshooter?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well every .22lr firearm is an individual and most will favor one brand and style of ammo. The only way to know is to try every brand and style you can get your hands on.
Also in checking for accuracy you are cleaning the bore between the different types of bullets and firing fouling shots aren't you?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes, Majic no.I cleaned the bore before I went to the range but then I proceeded to shoot groups of 5 shots with each brand.No cleaning between brands or "fouling shots" Is this important?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For precision accuracy, yes. Each brand uses their own lube on the bullets. You need to clean the lube out the bore then season the bore (the fouling shots) with lube of the next brand of bullets to achieve absolute accuracy.
So from a clean bore always fire a couple of fouling shots first. Then shoot for your group.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 07-14-2004).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts