Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
What's the intended use? Some are more suitable for competition than service type use. Overall I'd say HKS is probably the best overall...it may be the most popular anyway.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Safarilands are fast- you don't have to twist or push anything. A firm push into the cylinder releases the cartridges.

Comp Is are smaller, but the Comp IIs are a perfect balance. They're meaty, but give you more purchase when making your reload. Comp IIIs are the really long ones you see competitive shooters using. They're currently only available for K and L frame Smiths.

As Snidley noted HKS are good. Like Safarilands they're reliable and won't release cartridges if dropped. They do require a twist to release, but it's easy and fast.

The legend are SL Variant. They're made in Germany and actually push each individual cartridge into the cylinder. They're as rare as hen's teeth.

The 5-Star have a great reputation. They're basically solid aluminum HKS types.

I have a bunch of different types for my Python and have been happy with all of them.

Scroll through these. Good social distancing reading:

https://revolverguy.com/tag/speedloaders/

·
Registered
313 Posts
Most HKSs are model numbered. The ones for the Python are marked PY on their release knob. You've got to love that. : )

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
I can tell you my favorite, but that might be meaningless. They're cheap. Buy 'em and try 'em I say.

·
Registered
621 Posts
As previously mentioned you cannot go wrong with HKS speedloaders. They are a terrific startup to "Load & make ready."

SafariLand Competition II's & III's are slicker, faster and push on to the cylinder with little effort. Comp 2's & 3's are greatly enhanced when used with SafariLand's loading block. As a highly seasoned PPC revolver shooter I can attest to the fact that SafariLand comp 2' & 3's are the PPC standard.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
As previously mentioned you cannot go wrong with HKS speedloaders. They are a terrific startup to "Load & make ready."

SafariLand Competition II's & III's are slicker, faster and push on to the cylinder with little effort. Comp 2's & 3's are greatly enhanced when used with SafariLand's loading block. As a highly seasoned PPC revolver shooter I can attest to the fact that SafariLand comp 2' & 3's are the PPC standard.
They are also the standard for NRA Action Pistol...at least for the few of us that still use a revolver.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Own and use the HKS models for both my DA S&W's...a Model 629-1 4" and a Model 13-3 3"

All my other revolvers are Single Actions...

If those were in 45 ACP caliber there is a way to speed up loading, a 45acp magazine and you strip off the top round with your thumb and feed it into the cylinder.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
If those were in 45 ACP caliber there is a way to speed up loading, a 45acp magazine and you strip off the top round with your thumb and feed it into the cylinder.
Yes Sir...I've seen that neat trick on YouTube...may have been Hickok45.

My Cimarron/Uberti 1875 Remington clone was purchased with dual cylinders...shown installed is the .45
Colt cylinder...off camera is the .45 ACP cylinder.

And the barrel is roll marked with .45 ACP...with no roll mark for .45 Colt...which I thought odd when I picked it up at my LGS.

Shown Below:

...Thank You for mentioning it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered 6 of the HKS PY and that should hold me. I looked around for the Variants but no where to be found.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I've owned a number of HKS over the years. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've even seen another brand in the real world.

I don't really use them, to tell you the truth. I just like to have them. When I carry a revolver, I use Bianchi Speed Strips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts