Colt Forum banner

Best cleaning technique for old colt

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  STARVATION 
#1 ·
Hi, what’s best to wipe down old guns with? Just some gun oil, CLP, or leave the damn thing alone kid.......

#2 ·
If there is powder residue, lots of detergent in the hottest water you can handle. Rinse in very hot water so that it immediately evaporates - leaving no water in crevices etc. Oil while still hot then wipe down with a clean cloth when cool. Obviously you would only do this to metal parts - assuming they’ve already been stripped from the woodwork. Do not wash wooden parts in water.

#9 ·
What are you, some kinda forensic detective??

Break Free CLP or Ballistol for cleaning/lube...but for long term preservation in storage, use Break Free CO collector preservative (just a light coat is fine)...and store in dry area (meaning use desiccant in your safe or storage area).

#10 ·
☝Exactly what I was looking for. “Clean” was wrong term, looking for best preservative type product. Guns stay in case In attic where temp fluctuations from piping hot to cool. Nothing I can do about that right now, my wife doesn’t share my passion. So while I’m keeping them on display there im trying to minimize damage. As far as detective work, though handsome enough to play one on TV, I’m just doing what we all do; examine the guns, beg them to talk to us and speculate their history. Though I am surprised the original owner had red hair 😉

#11 ·
☝Exactly what I was looking for. “Clean” was wrong term, looking for best preservative type product. Guns stay in case In attic where temp fluctuations from piping hot to cool....
For preservation of guns in a harsh, possibly humid environment nothing beats oils and grease. The US military used a heavy grease called Cosmoline and guns can be pulled out of humid, wooden crates that have been preserved that way for decades looking like the day they were stored. But it's nothing you want to have on the gun if you plan to use it or even cycle the action - it's too stiff when it sets up.

There have been several harsh environment tests using 10 or 20 of the best gun oils, as well as the vaunted Renaissance Wax. CLP Break Free is always in the top 5. Ren Wax is always in the bottom of testing. This is when they actually spray water on the steel, etc. You won't have that in your attic, probably. But you also won't be rotating your guns in and out of climate controlled glass cases with curators dusting and reapplying wax every few weeks. Stick with oils.

#12 ·
What is difficult to avoid in a high-low temp cycling storage area like your attic is the physical expansion/contraction of metal...especially screws and their threads/bushings, as well as close tolerance attachments like sights and pins. Equally troubling is drying and swelling of wood stocks and grips. Either keep a very close eye on these things or fix your wife's attitude (I assume the former is most likely).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.