Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i'm looking for a good finish cleaner and also good finish protectant (one of each is fine i don't need a two and one i'm looking for the highest quality product price doesn't matter) for my blued python. i don't want to use something that would hurt the finish.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Around here you will find a lot of folks who like Eezox. It pretty much does it all. Also a lot of us like to use Renaissance Wax as a last-applied coating as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Around here you will find a lot of folks who like Eezox. It pretty much does it all. Also a lot of us like to use Renaissance Wax as a last-applied coating as well.
Can you use eezox on the stock wood grips? How about the renaissance wax do you use it on the grips? Thanks for your help

edit for spelling

·
Registered
220 Posts
Colts are made to be fired. Shoot it. Clean it well afterwards. In fact, since it still has stiff grease, remove the stocks and clean it well before shooting, to remove the grease. If there is a lot of grease, you may need to soak the revolver (with stocks removed) in mineral oil or kerosene, brushing gently from time to time, to remove all the grease. My favorite gun cleaning product is Eezox (but not for heavy grease), followed by a coat or three of Renaissance Wax. Do a search to find many threads here on these fine gun care products.Specially if you do not have the original box or the original stocks, I doubt a bit of shooting will affect the revolver's value. Lots of shooting will be lots of fun, and will leave wear on the revolver that will reduce the value. If you holster the revolver, there may be telltale wear marks left on the revolver by the holster, and that will certainly reduce the value.
Doesn't exactly answer the question, but I find these to be some good words.....I never wax the grips, but find that renaissance wax has been great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what do you use to clean and disinfect the stock wood grips? i bought a used python and the grips are grimy and dirty i want to get them clean.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Can you use eezox on the stock wood grips? How about the renaissance wax do you use it on the grips? Thanks for your help

edit for spelling
Eezox won't harm the stocks but I'd suggest, given what you say in your subsequent post, taking your stocks off and cleaning them with a soft brush and detergent cleaner, fully drying before re-attaching them. No need to use Ren Wax on them, in fact many may advise against that unless they are solid-grain with no checkering.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The biggest difference I have found in gun oils is the odor. Right now I am using M-Pro 7 as it is virtually odorless. Never had one to rust with any type of good gun oil.
Yeah but Johnny, in my best Lt. Col. Kilgore impersonation: "I love the smell of Eezox in the morning, it smells like victory" :) I'm hooked on that stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts