Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has decided, along with 4 or 5 other of her female co-workers, to go take a concealed weapons class next weekend, and at no prompting from myself. Only hitch in the giddy-up... she has not pulled a trigger since I've known her over the last 9 yrs. They will have to shoot at some point during the concealed class. It been more than 12 yrs since I took it, but I know they will have to load their own weapon and shoot it. So we are going to go do some learning and shooting this weekend. Although I would like to start with the 22LR caliber to avoid any scare of recoil, I am thinking of sticking with the simple LCR .38 revolver as it will be easy to tell when its loaded. easy to load it, and easy to fire it. If she had a misfire with the 22 slide action, then she might not know what to do as far as clearing the chamber, etc. My only concern about the LCR is will she will be comfortable shooting it. I bought some 110 grain ammo today and some rat shot also to start with, to reduce recoil as much as possible. Any other suggestions or recommendations for our first trip to the range together tomorrow to prepare for her CW class?

Registered
Get a box of wadcutters to shoot. Reduced recoil for her. I started my daughter with a Colt Detective and a S&W Chief Spcl loaded with 148 grn factory wadcutters. And have fun, if she is not enjoying it, stop.

Registered
I have instructed many women through the Women On Target program.

Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics

I have learned to try NOT to place MY prejudices on them when I am conducting a class. I bring a "BAG FULL" of guns and let the ladies pick the guns they want to shoot. I bring a wide range of guns from my 4" Smith 22 revolver to my big Smith 44 Mag. From one of my .22 Short Junior Colt guns up to a full house .45 ACP. I am still surprised to find one from time to time that wants to shoot up all of my 44 Mag loads!

If your wife does not shoot much and she is not very athletic or strong, she may be VERY intimidated with a lightweight revolver such as the LCR.

Bottom line- go at HER PACE and give her plenty of options. When she is ready to stop shooting, STOP SHOOTING. When she says she likes a particular gun, let her have at it.

Wishing you and her the best!

Mitch

Banned
I'm not certain about other state laws on CCW range proficiencies however if you qualify with a revolver in Texas that is the only gun you can legally CC. A .32 or .380 semi auto won't bang your wife around a lot on recoil and she'll be ready for range time. If qualifying with a SemiAuto you can carry any handgun in this state :) FWIW

Registered
Well, WWYS, I think this is outstanding! My wife took her CCW training last November here in Ohio, and got her CCW license in January of this year. Prior to this training, she had shot our Colt .45 Officer's ACP a few times, but it was a bit overwhelming. She has tiny hands and the .45 was a bit much for her. As part of her CCW training, the program called for students to fire a number of weapons: .38 Special revolver, 9mm semi-auto & a .45 semi-auto. Of all these, she was most comfortable with the .38 Special. So...... I bought her a S&W Lady Smith .38 Special for Christmas. She just loves it! Lightweight, easy to load & maintain. She carries it with her everywhere now, tucked in a nice suede Galco pocket holster, just as naturally as putting on shoes or grabbing her purse. The +P ammo was a bit strong, however, so for self-defense ammo I bought her Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain HP. I agree with Cochise. The wadcutters would be a great introduction for a novice. I had these when I taught my kids to shoot the .45 when they were little.

These things may go wild for you after next weekend. While wifey grew up in a long-gun household and gun-phobia was never an issue, this has morphed into a frantic hobby. Now I've been instructed to build a proper handgun range in the back pasture instead of the ad-hoc temporary contraptions of the past. You, too, might find this to be the case. But............ You will be as overjoyed as I am that your better half is an active participant in her own personal defense as well as a protector of the home front.

It sounds like the collective courage of your wife and the other ladies has caused them to come together to stand as a cohesive group. Good for them! Wish more American women would consider this. I wish you the best and I can't wait to hear how all this goes. Please keep us informed and enjoy the wild ride!

Reactions: what would you say

Registered
Ditto The lady friends really seem to like the Colt 380, especially the Govt Mark IV. The Pony or Mustang are especially good themselves with smaller grips/stocks.

Registered
Wife's CCW

As a instructor I've observed a couple of things over the years.
1. Don't pick out a handgun for her, go to a gun shop where she can feel multiple weapons to see what fits her hand the best.
2. If it's a semi-auto, make sure she can work the slide.
3. The LCR is a great starter weapon, good trigger, however get the 357 (it's a little heavier) and shoot target 38's in it. The Hogue's do wonders for dissipating felt recoil. Even Golden Sabre 125gr 357's are shootable without heavy felt recoil.
4. If you can, find a female instructor and a all female CCW class. She'll do much better with no felt male intimidation.
5. With proper instruction and no pre-consieved idea's, I've found that female students are quicker learners that males.
6. As with all weapons, safety is paramount, stay with semi-auto handguns that have a safety or a revolver.
From my wife's personal experience in obtaining her CCW (I was smart enough not to be her instructor), she had a female instructor in a all female class and had a positive experience. She shoot's three handguns, all quite well, Colt Defender, S&W M&P9c and a Sig P238. All have safeties, so motor skills required are the same and they all fit her particular hands. Initial training and CCW class was with a LCR 357.
All in all, everyone's different, however you have to be comfortable with what you shoot. Actually my wife shoots the Defender the best, it's set up with thin Aluma grips with a high Wilson grip safety, fit's her hand perfectly. Her everyday carry has evolved to the P238 because of it's size. It's loaded with DPX, as are all of anything we carry.

Premium Member
What has worked for me. I start them out on a 22 double action revolver for safety and operation familiarity then I move to a 1977 heavy barrel Police positive special 4 in. with 148 wadcutters or homemade 125 grain cowboy loads at 700 FPS. Then we move to the steel snubbie 2 in.(detective special) and lastly the cobra or agent. They have no trouble firing the lightweight 38 by the time they get to it. The last thing we do is fire standard 158 SWC ammo out of the alloy gun and while they note the recoil, its acceptable at this point. They are shown and even do fire a few rounds single action but during the whole training, its all double action firing and the man size targets are never farther than 7 to 10 yards. This of course works for men also.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Range Report on the wife's first day behind the trigger. She will have no problems at the CCW class range. I took the bag of guns. She casually mentioned to me on the way that she was told by the leader of her women's group who are signed up for this class that the CCW instructor says no 22's for the class.
We did shoot the 22's today, but she started out with the .38 LCR and grouped better than me. went to a 22 single six and she really enjoyed that.. and a 22 rifle later. just whatever she wanted to shoot. She wanted to stay with the LCR since that's the simplest to shoot and operate and a real CCW type gun that she would carry. We did not get into any slide actions for sake of time today (family was watching the 1 and 3 yr old), and also not to go into overload with info. I've got some snap caps for the LCR so she can practice at the house with the loading/unloading and handling of it. I think she will enjoy a heavier and better quality gun much more for shooting practice. She's a regular Annie Oakley though, and called it a day on a good group. great thing was an aunt let us shoot on her property out in the country so we avoided the local range on a Saturday.

Registered
A wonderful story, made my day. :)

Registered
What Would You Say
That's great, I'm glad your Wife found the gun she likes. I think the LCR is a pretty good gun. If she likes it she will shoot it better. You didn't say if you reload or not, but if you do try a good 148gr wadcutter in front of 2-1/2grs of Bullseye. It'll give you a very accurate, light recoiling load that is fun to shoot.
I like the LCR, have shot it, & think it's a great choice for your Wife.
Have fun shooting together.
Frank

Registered
Good job. I've taught several co-worker females to shoot. I start with all the safety issues first. Then when they expect to shoot something that they may be intimidated by, I hand them the .22 Buckmark. After losing whatever fear they had, I just let them burn up the ammo. They usually love it and have fun. Then we discuss that a .22 isn't much for self defense, and I introduce them to the 9mm. At this point, they feel confident in their gun handling, and they expect more recoil, otherwise, it's the same as shooting the .22. After a couple of shots, they're usually right back in the sweet spot on a B27 at 7 yards.
I personally prefer to teach them how to use an autoloader. We go over how and why the slide stop works. We do dry fire drills, which forces them to rack the slide to re-cock the pistol. It's important that they truly understand how to operate the pistol. For those who just can't understand it, or don't care too, we go to the 4" .38 revolver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts