Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....In order to avoid excessive wear to the blued finish, what holster and holster material would you recommend? I was thinking of buying a lined leather holster from a reputable maker like El Paso Saddlery, but am concerned about holster wear. Which holster (of any make/material) would you advise to to keep finish wear to a minimum? I'll be hiking, hunting and target shooting, and not carrying the gun daily for self protection. Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,463 Posts
A suede lined holster may be even worse, because the rough sueded lining will catch and hold dirt and grit and that will wear and scratch the gun.

Probably the easiest holster on the gun would be one with either a smooth finished inside, or one lined with the same kind of cowhide that's used on the outside.
Whatever you get, a holster that holds the gun firmly without allowing it to shift and move around inside the holster will wear less. It's the moving around that causes the friction that wears finishes.

No matter what you get, you're going to have some finish wear on the gun.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
I agree with dfariswheel above. I make and sell holsters and when the leather is a little fuzzy on the inside, I disc sand it smooth. But the benefit there might just be cosmetic. As mentioned, if you put a gun in any holster there's going to be wear on the gun. Metal lined fast draw holsters might be the best to avoid that but not practical with everyday use, in my opinion. Here is a tight fitting unlined holster I made for an 8" Trooper but used my Python as a model for it. It is smooth as snot inside the holster yet will probably cause wear eventually with use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.