Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best investment(As a collectible)\"Mint OMT(.22)or a \"Mint\" Python?

In my other postings, I was asking for opinions on the best choice between the following colt revolvers:

1)A "Mint" OMT(.22)for $800?
2)A LNIB(But, lightly fired!)Colt .357(6-incher!)with box(But, no papers, for $575?
3)A NIB(With papers)"Pristine" Colt Trooper Mark III(.357)for $450(Out the door!)?

Although, I am not sure, which of the above three revolvers, would be the best choice, I'd like to ask for your opinions again, on the following two Colt revolvers, as your top pick(as the better investment, and as the best collectible?)?:

1)The aforementioned, "Mint" Colt OMT(.22)for $800? Or..............
2)A "mint" early 1970's Colt Python(6-incher)for $900 to $950?)?

All of the above revolvers, are in the same gun shop! I hope that you can help me make the right decision, regarding these guns? Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Best investment(As a collectible)\"Mint OMT(.22)or a \"Mint\" Python?

Colt 38,
The bottom line is NOT what we like, it's what YOU like. Forget the investment money makeing thing or what other people like. It's YOUR money, you will be happier in the long run spending it on what YOU like, NOT what someone else likes.

It's a proven fact that on "average" the best collectible Colt Revolvers are the Pre War Target Revolvers and the SAA's.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colt38:
In my other postings, I was asking for opinions on the best choice between the following colt revolvers:

1)A "Mint" OMT(.22)for $800?
2)A LNIB(But, lightly fired!)Colt .357(6-incher!)with box(But, no papers, for $575?
3)A NIB(With papers)"Pristine" Colt Trooper Mark III(.357)for $450(Out the door!)?

Although, I am not sure, which of the above three revolvers, would be the best choice, I'd like to ask for your opinions again, on the following two Colt revolvers, as your top pick(as the better investment, and as the best collectible?)?:

1)The aforementioned, "Mint" Colt OMT(.22)for $800? Or..............
2)A "mint" early 1970's Colt Python(6-incher)for $900 to $950?)?

All of the above revolvers, are in the same gun shop! I hope that you can help me make the right decision, regarding these guns? Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts

Mr. Paine is correct. Yoiu make the call.

Judging from the prices given, I suspect the Python is not an early one. If it were, it would be the best buy since early Pythons are worth a lot more than stated. The price is good for any Python "LNIB."

As far as the OMT, again it depends on its age. Is it a 1930 or 1948 vintage (or somewhere in between)? The older the more valuable. I love the early Officers Models, especially the .22s, but the price seems a bit high unless it is a very early one.

Just be sure that the guns are original, and not refinished or altered.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I do realize that the ultimate decision to buy any gun, is entirely up to me! However, I wanted to get the opinions from the more knowledgeable forum members, in the hopes that I could gain a broader knowledge of these guns that I have been considering? Also, I wanted to hear the opinions from anyone, who has had experience with each of these guns? I felt that if I could obtain a wide range of different "Perspectives" from various forum members, that maybe, after sorting through all of this information, that possibly, I could make the right choice, in selecting a gun that was nice-yet, was desireable to "Collect"(And, not turn out to be an unpopular model(Or, a "Dead horse", so to speak!))?

I knew that the Colt .357 was a very interesting revolver(Due to it's history-and, being the "Granddaddy" of the "Python")! But, my concern here is that since the Colt .357, has just been "Overlooked" in the past, I wondered if anybody would ever give this gun, the "due Recognition" that it deserves(And, if not, then this surely, would hurt the "Potential" collectibility of this gun!)?

The Colt Trooper Mark III, was interesting to me, because this particular specimen, is so "Pristine" new(And, complete with a mint box and all papers)! However, my concern here, was whether or not these Troopers, could ever make the grade, as a "Collectible"(In view of their past record of hardly being noticed by gun collector's!)?

I knew that the Colt OMT(.22)Target revolver, was a good gun to collect(In the long term!)but, since the price of $800(Plus fees & tax)puts the price of this near "Mint" OMT(Here in CA!)over $900, this would probably make it very difficult to ever realize any gains in eventually selling this gun(Except maybe after many years!)? In view of this, I was wondering if I'd be better off, just buying a Python instead(For a similar amount of $$$)?

At this point, I'm having a tough time making a decision on which of the above three revolvers would be the wisest choice to buy? I would like to hear some more opinions, if I could get some more input here? This will not make the final decision for me-but, I'm certain, that it will help me greatly, in making a proper decision, in the final analysis? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-16-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-16-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 01-17-2005).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

As a personal collection, like others before me, the decision is entirely yours on what you like. When looking at it from an investment prospect then the Python should be the better choice. It wouldn't bring much more that it's price now in most parts of the USA, but Cali is an entirely different market.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts