Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been storing all my pistols the same way for over 25 years. I keep them in a silicone sock and a padded pistol rug. My safe queens come out once a year for a wipe down and a fresh light oiling. No rust on any of my older ones so far. My shooters get oiled more often. I wouldn't see why a SAA would store any different then any other kind of Colt. My safe does have an operating Golden Rod.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ll echo the previous posters. Wiped down lightly with ballistol, dehumidifier rod in the safe, desiccant unit, wrapped up in a gun sock.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I suppose you guys are right but I keep mine in leather holsters. I have seen many WWI and WWII guns stored for years in their holsters with no problems.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I keep mine in leather holsters.
I don't think it's a good idea to store a gun for long periods in a leather holster. Leather attracts and holds moisture and in conjunction with the chemicals it was tanned with can rust the metal. If you have a WWII flap holster, look at the brass rivets and you'll likely see they are green with corrosion caused by prolonged contact with the chemicals in the leather.

Moving on, here is an excellent article written by the NRA Museum giving best practices for storing collectible firearms.

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The chemical that turns the brass green will not affect steel. I have 25 to 30 WWII guns that have spent 75 years in the holster and some are stone cold mint. I have a 1919 issue 1911 that has been in it's holster since 1919 and started it service life in Siberia. No rust on that gun after 100 years. The trouble is when a Case, Holster, or Rug gets wet. It does not dry out fast and becomes a rust nightmare. Climate control is the big key. Air conditioning and heat goes a long way towards good storage. One also has to consider storage area. If I separated ll the guns from holster I would need another closet for the holsters. That article posted above is great if you never want to use or enjoy your guns again. It's OK for a museum which only serves as a storage location.

IMG_8571.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like this, open to air in a minimal rack with Golden Rod in safe. At least that's my choice for the small number of handguns in the safe.

View attachment 684481
Man - looking at your safe, I am realizing I need to tidy mine up. Mine is nowhere near as organized.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
If you have a bunch, Protecta-Gun storage boxes, wiped down with any good rust preventative oil, wrapped in VPI or even the wax paper available with the boxes. You can stack many more in a much smaller space this way with no weight on any of the guns in the stack. The boxes come with end labels for immediate identification. Very reasonable price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I store my recently acquired 3rd Gen SAA in a silicone gun sock, very lightly coated with a CLP (Slip 2k).
CLP coating vs. gun oil, what do you folks think is kinder on a CCH finish?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have my P1856 SAA on a plastic stand in a safe in the garage. I use it perhaps once every two weeks, maybe more now... it gets cleaned after every trip to the range, (Ballistol only for the Nickel plate), wiped down with a microfiber cloth (no extra oil, there's enough already on the cylinder after cleaning). The safe is on a shelf at about eye level, no dampness in that area.... so far no rust at all after 1 year for the Colt and 5 years for the other pistols (WWI and WWII). They all get used and cleaned on average once a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
The chemical that turns the brass green will not affect steel. I have 25 to 30 WWII guns that have spent 75 years in the holster and some are stone cold mint. I have a 1919 issue 1911 that has been in it's holster since 1919 and started it service life in Siberia. No rust on that gun after 100 years. The trouble is when a Case, Holster, or Rug gets wet. It does not dry out fast and becomes a rust nightmare. Climate control is the big key. Air conditioning and heat goes a long way towards good storage. One also has to consider storage area. If I separated ll the guns from holster I would need another closet for the holsters. That article posted above is great if you never want to use or enjoy your guns again. It's OK for a museum which only serves as a storage location.

View attachment 684519
I was wondering where all the 1911s were!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Heat rod and dehumidifier in safe along with silicone sleeve is as good as it gets
Actually, there is more... Nickel SAA's with Walnut grips- take off the grips and store separately. No oils on the Nickel as it will stain the Nickel. (this is from experience using WD-40). The wood, makes the Nickel turn white. Blue/CH and Full Blue- I wipe them down with Break- Free put in a plastic bag, spray with Break-Free, wrap another two plastic bags and put it back in the box. Ivory Grips store separately as they do not like oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts