Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new on this board and I from austria. I have bough recently an 4.inch Colt python from a buddy. I will use the gun primerly for target/fun shooting and also for sd. the whole sd thing is more therotical because I am from austria and in my country JHP ammo is not allowed. somebody recomend a good non jhp sd load for my colt. Something like the Corbon Powerball or an SWC bullet?? I would be pleased hearing a few tipps.

thanks

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are many reloaders and very experienced shooters here who will probably offer suggestions but, in your situation, I would probably consider 158gr LSWC, perhaps much the same as you use for target. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
http://www.ammoman.com/images/C357C.jpg

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just about any 357 Magnum load would suffice for self defense... Your major concern is the practice round... There are many good ones out there... My 2 cents however, would be spent on the Remington UMC in 38 special... It is not the cheapest but is does provide the most bang for your buck (pardon the pun)... It will also be easier on both you and your gun

http://www.remingtonle.com/ammo/umc.htm

Congratulations on your new Python and welcome to the Forum...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have to agree the 158 Semi-wad cutter is an effective non-hollow point load. the lead will expand much better than a jacketed soft-point. If frangible rounds are legal, the Glaser Safety Slug is the most effective round I have ever read about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thx for your tipps. Is there any good factory lead SWC load? And I fragibles aber allowed here..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do not know if they make ammo in .357 but I seem to recall in Germany a company ( Geco?) made some sort of round that was not JHP but gave essentially the same end result. There is or was also a French type of bullet ( Arcane?) that was also devastating.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have never seen one but can go only on what I have read. I believe they are made on a lathe and turned out of brass. They have a conical profile that supposedly creates a large wound channel. I also would suspect they may be quite expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts