Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm not a reloader, and I'm about to start cycling through major commercial .38 Special and .357 ammo varieties in order to find the ones my Python (6", SS, '95) likes best. But first, I thought I'd poll the jury re: your collective successes with factory loads in Pythons like mine (6"...). Anybody out there have any input?

Michael.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'd echo exactly what Mr. Wheel said ... the 158 grains always were happy in my Pythons - or .357 or Trooper. The lighter the bullet, the more eratic, or so it's been to me. I've never seen a Python or OP or Trooper or 357 that wasn't wadcutter-friendly, either.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
This is one of those questions of which the answer is of no real value.

The problem is, all firearms are individuals. The fact that a certain load shoots GREAT in my Python, and another is terrible, really means nothing, since YOUR Python may shoot the exact reverse.

You've already got the "right" answer.
Just shoot as many different brands/types of ammo as you can until you find one or two YOUR Python "likes".

My Pythons shoot the best groups with factory ammo when shooting one of the "Mid-range" .38 Special target loads.

These are getting harder to find, but I think the bigger ammo companies still sell these.
They're standard .38 Special, lead bullet, usually wadcutter, light Target loads.

For Magnum shooting practice and general shooting, I use 158 Grain ammo, since that's easier on the gun's forcing cone.

For "Serious business" I use the 125 Grain jacketed, hollow point.

The brand really doesn't matter in defense or general use ammo, since very few Pythons WON'T shoot these well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents. By the way, is there anything to the occasionally voiced concern that Pythons aren't "up to" regular shooting with .357s, and that one ought to use .38s in order to minimize wear/damage to the gun?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The Python is quite strong for a medium frame revolver. There has always been stories of it being delicate. It can handle most any sane load. The one thing it does have problems with is fast double action shooting, but that also applies to most revolvers with a heavy cylinder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Majic - How fast is "fast"? One shot per second? Two? Jerry Miculek I'm not... ;-}

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
On the overall average, I have found Federal ammunition to be more accurate in most guns. I noticed many years ago, when the gun rag writers would do a gun test with various brands of ammo, Federal would usually have the best accuracy. Not always, but more often than any other single manufacturer. I have found the same to be true with my own guns.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Michael, here's my 2 cents ... I always have had good luck with Federal ammo, too. Regarding, "Speed and the Python," ... now, I may be all wet here, so don't take this as a, "for sure," but the inerds of the Python are exactly the same as Colt's fine target revolvers of the 1930's. In those days, they were used for all the centerfire shooting - slow, timed and rapid. Rapid fire then was not nearly what guys expect guns to do today. I don't recall the exact times, but I'm pretty sure, by what I see on the range today, the rapid-fire event of then is like still in slow motion compared to today's casual shooters. I'm afraid if you get a Python and push it faster than the times of the old slow, timed and rapid matches, you'll have some timing problems just pretty soon. If you can live with shooting no faster than you can single-action, even when you shoot double-action, your Python will hold up well for a long, long time. That's my thoughts. Maybe some of the other guys have had better luck with really fast double-action Python shooting, but I sure haven't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks to all for your responses. I feel reassured as to my snake's ability to withstand a steady magnum diet (vs. .38 for target and mag for field). Re: the speed-shooting point - no worries for me. I'm not into IDPA or anything, so for home defense, realistic (field-load) target practice and brush-country whitetail I think I'm good to go.

A steady hand to you all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts