Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
The Huntsman and Targetsman models appear to be quite reasonably priced compared to the Woodsman series. Nearly the quality/accuracy without the "collector" price tag...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If you are looking for an optics ready Colt .22 plinker than I suggest the .22 Target Model.
Colt made a return to .22 semi-autos in the 90's with their Colt Cadet as ColtPinkerton mentions and then the Colt .22 Target Model. The .22 Target Model could be had with a 6" barrel, adjustable sights with a integral optics rail. I have one and it's a very well built pistol and very reasonably priced. I have a red dot scope mounted on mine that works extremely well on the pistol. There are a couple on Gunbroker priced under $500.

Edit to add, not my pic, but exactly as mine is set up.

Colt .22 target Model.jpg

·
Registered
593 Posts
If the OP is looking for a shooter, then a used 6" Woodsman Match Target is the way to go. The OP did not set a price range. I would not spend the money for a 95% or higher condition gun and then make it a shooter. I have seen 80-90% condition guns sell in the $800-900 price range and lesser condition for less money. The fit, feel, and performance of the Match Target is amazing. I have owned other Woodsmans and the Smith model 41 but IMO, but the Match Target is still the best value IMO.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
If you just want to shoot it, and aren't looking for something that will turn into a collectible, I'd go with either a Huntsman or
Targetsman, as Snakeman99 suggested. Great shooters without a premium price tag.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
If you just want to shoot it, and aren't looking for something that will turn into a collectible, I'd go with either a Huntsman or
Targetsman, as Snakeman99 suggested. Great shooters without a premium price tag.
Exactly, the Huntsman/Targetsman usually sell for around 60-70% the price of a similar condition Woodsman.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
The Targetsman is a great little gun -- the first Colt I ever bought back in 1967.
I had a lot of fun with it for casual plinking and range shooting. For formal target
shooting it's not really the best but if you're not playing that game it's a great
gun to own. It was my "Deer camp fun gun" for years.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
If you are looking for an optics ready Colt .22 plinker than I suggest the .22 Target Model.
Colt made a return to .22 semi-autos in the 90's with their Colt Cadet as ColtPinkerton mentions and then the Colt .22 Target Model. The .22 Target Model could be had with a 6" barrel, adjustable sights with a integral optics rail. I have one and it's a very well built pistol and very reasonably priced. I have a red dot scope mounted on mine that works extremely well on the pistol. There are a couple on Gunbroker priced under $500.

Edit to add, not my pic, but exactly as mine is set up.

View attachment 443674
These are nice pistols at reasonable prices. While they're not built in the old tradition of and-finishing and polishing they're great shooters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts