Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've acquired a DA army/navy with with that really nice (to me) slight brownish to bluish finish. There are some extremely fine scratches on the works cover, but no pits, rust or gouges. What can I use to make this finish really 'POP'. This revolver has stories to tell, and I want to make sure it's finish is it's spokesman.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I agree; Renaissance wax works great and can't harm your finish. It's available on the internet, including Ebay.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Renaissance wax is great, but it's not a polish that will remove the fine scratches, nor will it "fill" them.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hello, texasleaguer. I would look at those "scratches" with magnification under a good light. I have a Colt 1901 army with "scratches" on R.H. frame..just in front of grips..nearly all of these revolvers have these same marks...they are forging flow lines showing thru finish. Old lever action Winchesters sometimes show these on frame.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Hi texasleague,

Post some images of it!

Some 'before' and 'after'...

Plus I want to see if those 'scratches' are just scratches, or if they are - like Bisley mentions - the Forging flow patterns showing through thin Blueing.

Some of mine are like that, and I love that look...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bisley, you are right. No wonder I couldn't feel 'em. And yes the blueing is thin. It's just became more special to me. It's gonna get waxed up, and shot a bit, just to annoy the so-called "experts down at the old range. Even have .38 S&W to put through it.

Thanks for the info.

Oyeboten,
I'm sorry. But I have no camera, scanner or printer, and very little working knowledge of these computers and this thing called the interweb. Heck, I'm even on dial-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts