Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silicon cloth that has dried out. What's the best product to treat it with? I want to use it for a quick gun wipe down and place the cloth back in the bag and have the cloth always ready for quick use.

Is it advised to throw it away and buy a new one? I'm hoping to create something better than I can buy in the store.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like to use a square piece of wool blanket with Rig Grease rubbed into it. I keep than in a zip-lock bag. I also have a couple of Rig Rags (sheepskin with Rig Grease in it). I have a jar of Rig Grease which I use to replenish the rags.

I like Rig better than the silicon cloths.

·
Administrator
7,051 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
...I like Rig better than the silicon cloths.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that .
Our family has used a Rig Rag since the late 1940's . We have used them exclusively in our family gun shop since 1974 . They work ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

However , if you like the silicone cloth , I would probably just buy another . For $2-3 , it's not worth stressing over .

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not fond of silicon cloths and I am looking for something better.

Where can I find a wool blanket? I assume it's made from "wool". Where do I find Rig Grease?

·
Administrator
7,051 Posts
Here's the factory web info on Rig . I'd recommend just buying the factory "Rig Rag" . It's a pretreated sheepskin treated with Rig grease . After the grease wears off , buy a jar of Rig grease and apply it to the wool . You're ready to go for another 6 mo - yr . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.silencio.com/htfiles/chemicals.html

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've used silicone for decades with no rust problems. Get a spray can of silicone (make sure it's the petroleum based stuff) and just spray the bejasus out of your cloth. I do it every few weeks.

Bill

p.s. Keep it in a ziplock bag when not in use.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
I always pitched used up silicone cloths.

By the time it's depleted, the cloth is usually full of dirt and grit that can mar your guns and instruments.

For a "cheapy" cloth, I used to buy flannel cloth at the fabric store, and spray silicone from the automotive store.

Spray the cloth thoroughly, let the solvent evaporate, and store in a zip-lock bag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts