Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best way to \"vulture\" at a gun show?

There's a local gun show coming up in a couple of weeks. Due to a strike in the cities largest employer and the ripple effect on other employers I see a lot of dumping of toys. It's started already with boats and motorcycles and I see it with guns as well. My table is in the back so the deals are gone before the seller reaches my table. Often I can pick up a gun right after the dealer purchase for a quick $100 profit to the dealer.

If I was to have 1st chance at a gun, what would be the best method? At the entrance before check in or just after check in or some other method?

BTW: I'm not a vulture. I only want 1st chance at a Colt Revolver.

Thanks for your input.

Thank god I live in Kansas. The wild west and the home of Dodge City.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Best way to \"vulture\" at a gun show?

Addicted; I don't get it?? These sellers must be desparate,or the guys "near the door" offer such high prices to them,that they sell without getting multiple offers!!!

MOST sellers will at least do one complete walk around the show.and try and get the best price,by showing it to as many dealers who show an interest,then taking the highest offer!!!

So,if you offer a good price,not a "vulture figure" you should get the gun. I hope that vultures are not hanging out in the parking lot offering these sellers quick money,but only a fool would sell there without having other offers.(and beware of criminals and BATF there,and some shows ban this)

Still don't get the table location thing-unless there are a lot of desparate sellers due to dire financial situations???

Having a "very deep mean streak",I will keep a prime piece in my car,and if a honest dealer friend tips me off about a vulture type,offering horribly low prices,I will go out,get the gun,and act like its my dead uncles and I know nothing about guns. Gets the vulture "salivating".and just when he thinks,I am about to accept his "insulting offer",I will then explain what the gun is and its approximate value. Usually have a couple of honest dealer friends standing by,just out of the vultures sight,who will then laugh their butts off,and treat me to lunch! One vulture had this done by me and 4 other guys that the dealers put up to the same thing;vulture no longer sets up at these shows!!

Hopefully,sellers will be smart enough to make the rounds,before they sell;yeah I know,some sellers will "lie" and say "guy at that table offered me so much more",but thats part of the game!!

Good luck in your buying.

Bud("professional vulture hunter"!!!!) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
254 Posts

both, I have found some great deals waiting in line to get in big shows, and once in hanging around the enterance,after all, people want to sell quick and not have to lug a heavy piece all around a show. when I have something to sell, the sooner the better I get rid of it, frees up money for my next purchase.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

One year ago I had a guy eyeing my rifle from inside the show just yards away from the check in table. I walked in and he was right on me. I already had a price in mind that was $50 more than I paid for it and I was hoping for early spendable cash. I had this rifle sold within 15 seconds of walking into the show. The vultures hang out outside the door as well.

The early vulture gets the gun.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

Excellent idea about local economics.

I have nothing against vultures at shows. Heck the dealers are the main vultures and it doesn't bother me a bit to snag something I want before it even gets in the door. Doesn't happen often as the first prices are usually a little high. It takes a little time for the new show participant to get worn down a bit on pricing.

It is also the time that you can make your worst deals in the heat of the moment if you don't have all your values stored in the old head and you do it on instinct because it is a nice gun that you don't know much about.

An aside: I once did a spread sheet that lists many of the Colt models that I am/was interested in and tried to relate the guns and the company to world or US events since 1880 or so. Interesting litte piece of work. I still use it as a first pass when I want to check when a particular gun was introduced. But it needs revised a bit now. Spent many hours doing that thing.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

[ QUOTE ]
An aside: I once did a spread sheet that lists many of the Colt models that I am/was interested in and tried to relate the guns and the company to world or US events since 1880 or so. Interesting litte piece of work. I still use it as a first pass when I want to check when a particular gun was introduced. But it needs revised a bit now. Spent many hours doing that thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya. I have a laminated cheatsheet in my wallet at all times. It lists about 25 guns (all Colt revolvers) on my wish list and prices at 95% condition. I figured 95% is a good baseline because 90% is about as low as I'd go. Maybe lower depending on rarity.

·
Registered
806 Posts

As one who sets up at most of the shows, I would have to say , it would be "best" for you NOT to get the reputation as a "vulture". (your quote) the other names most dealers have are NOT fit to print.
Being I put the time, and money into getting a table and trying to be "fair and honest" (most of my customers are repeat and always come to me for info and help anyway) I resent the guys hanging out at the door, out in the parking lot (smoking usually) hell there are even guys at some of the shows here in Ohio, set up out in their cars! At Medina, Berea, Akron, etc. The 'Pro gun' shows do NOT allow this and send them on their way , throw them out. It is 'illegal'(by city ordinance) and can and will do more to ruin or get a show in trouble (bad press) than most anything (except an 'accidental'? discharge)
Just have a TV or news person and camera come and set up outside and watch all this going on and "bam", it's on the evening news, especially when "news" is 'slow'. They did it at Akron a little over a year ago, and the people who were actually the biggest violators were in fact from "out of state"( they were PA residents!)What if the TV news people would have found this out???

Yes, you can cruise and walk the show and if in the right spot and at the right time, you come across a "deal" then go for it, but in good taste.

As for the 'dealers' (table holders) who MAY be 'thieves', well you know who to stay away from and NOT to deal with, their reputation will proceed them, we all know who they are. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

While Vulture may be a poor choice in words it is the early bird that gets the worm. That means you have to be up front to see what's coming in (especially the really nice goodies we be looking for). If you offer a fair price and get the sale then I see where nothing is wrong. That has always been the true spirit of a gun show.
There is some behind the table sales and trades of really nice guns that takes place before and during the show. So those walking around can cruise near the entrance to see what's coming and sometimes level the playing field with a nice buy because the shows are becoming more and more a dealers game.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

Maybe the title of this thread should be changed to...
"How to rip off the less knowledgable ?"
Or, "How to be first in line to take advantage of someone ?"

We all want good deals and live for the hunt.
If someone offers you an item at a disclosed price, there's nothing wrong with giving them what they want. Both parties walk away happy.
But c'mon now posting about ideas on the best way to Vulture or prey on someone is pushing it.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

There's some excellent ideas. In the last several years I've developed a reputation of being the Colt revolver expert and that's a reputation I want to keep. Although I'd like a find a good buy, a good reputation comes first.

At the 2 large shows I bring out the 'goods' of Colt Revolvers. I place them in a show case along with their boxes. There's a lot of drooling and I sometimes get tips of a person that has a xyz Colt Revolver for sale. At the last show I got a tip on a OMM in a .22 mag. I hope he brings it to this show as he had it at home last time.

The Friday dealings can be fun. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

There is no "best way" to be a "vulture", or as I hear them called in this neck of the woods, "door sharks". Most of them are a PIA, wouldn't pay a nickel to see a house fly eat a bale of hay, create a traffic jam around the door, and do nothing but project a negative image of the show. Most of these clowns are there for one reason only, and that's to find something they can resell and make a few bucks. I don't mind the occasional fellow in line, or walking through the parking lot, asking about something that catches their interest, but most shows have their "regulars" haunting the doors and the parking lot. Some of them are too cheap to even buy a ticket, and just "work" the parking lots. These are the guys who need to be tossed out on their "ear"... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
In the last several years I've developed a reputation of being the Colt revolver expert and that's a reputation I want to keep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow that's the first person here that I've seen in a couple years to post up the fact that he's a Colt Revolver expert. And also the fact that you need to bring a drool cup when you see his stuff.
Now we know who to address all our questions to.

At least Dfaris is humble about his knowledge.
By the way, Thanks for that Dfariswheel.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

[ QUOTE ]
In the last several years I've developed a reputation of being the Colt revolver expert and that's a reputation I want to keep. Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff, You place way too much into my words. It's the largest (small) gun show and the few people that stop by my table is nothing to the amount of forum readers. Please keep it friendly for the readers. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I am proud to say that I do have some very droolly revolvers. They're on display, not for sale. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

I think "vulture" is probably a poor word to describe what goes on at gun shows by most. If the word applies at all, it mostly applies to the folks that hang outside the show doors to intercept people coming to the show. Dealers do this too.

Gun shows are commerce. If you have tables, I can understand that the table owner would feel that they have paid for the privilege. The location of your tables is frequently a topic of some thought to observe gun show traffic. I personally rarely even ask someone "what ya got?" I'm only interested in a small subset of the total gun world and these things rarely walk in the door or the odds of me actually seeing one of these is low. The folks with the tables clearly have the edge as it should be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts