Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everybodys opinion on this subject. I know the earlier years, 1955-1970 seem to be the most desirable years. Do you think quality really varies much over the years? What about 1995-96? Did quality plunge those years? I have heard different views about this and want to get a general concensous...to confuse me more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
TA, I will not look at a Python beyond 1959. The fifties models are hands down the finest of all Pythons. The trigger action is like silk, excellent handling balance, the finish is of the highest gloss and the stocks are unique and command a premium price. Full checkered stocks can run up to $200 if you can find them. Today you can purchase a 1950's model for less money than the crap Colt is turning out today. I'm currently looking for a 1955 model. Better yet would be a two digit serial number. My recent purchase was a three digit serial number (1956) and I love it. Hope this helps.

Vipereater

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
One more time:
Firearms ARE NOT vintages of wine. There are NO "good" years or "bad" years.
Each gun must be judged on it's own merits.

I saw a Python made during the depths of the strike when quality was "bad", that was possible the finest Python I've ever seen. Action, fit, and finish was incredible.

I've seen a Colt Officer's Model made in the mid-1930's when quality was at the absolute peak.
A collector has it in his collection as a Colt oddity.
This thing was terrible. Fit was lousy, finish looked like some kid had cold blued it, and the action felt like it was full of sand.

He bought the gun new in the box simply as a rare factory "botch job". This gun should never have seen the light of day, but did.

So, year of manufacture isn't a valid reason to buy or not buy a Colt.
Each one must be judged on it's own merits, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Python is a 1980 and it's the sweetest gun I've ever shot. The action is as tight as a fishes rear end, and smooth as butter. The bright nickel finish is gorgeous!

------------------
-Gun control means using both hands-
JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts