Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have always wanted to try carrying my 1951 DS snubnose, but I have never found an iwb holster I like.
Someone said the Bianchi 3S for the Ruger Sp101 would fit the DS. I find this hard to believe.

Can anyone attest to this? Or maybe recommend a bianchi or smilier price range IWB?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Try El Paso Saddlery...you won't find better.

·
Registered
686 Posts
EPS makes only copies of others' designs, stick with the original 3S. Safariland still makes the 3S for the Dick Special, and although it would be moulded for the bull barrel version, it was intended to fit the tapered barrel of your early model, too.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
Since the SP-101 and Detective Special frame is very close in size and the SP-101 cylinder is only slightly smaller in diameter, a 3S will probably fit either acceptably.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
EPS makes only copies of others' designs,
Do they?
I bought this Desantis 045 02. It was listed for the Smith & Wesson Chief's Special series and it worked out just fine. The molding of the holster looks more like the late issue Detective Spl. then the Chief's Spl.
Desantis 1.jpg Desantis 2.jpg
This holster positions the gun low on the belt but still provides a quick grab.

While on the subject of the Bianchi 3S, does anyone know if the one for a 1911 allows cocked and locked carry? The reviews on Midway contradict this.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have used a Bianchi 3S for a detective special before. It was a great fit. The detective special I had in it had a shrouded barrel, not sure how much difference that would make when compared to your 51.

I thought the quality of the holster was very good. However I felt it was very uncomfortable and only used it a few times.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Do they?
I bought this Desantis 045 02. It was listed for the Smith & Wesson Chief's Special series and it worked out just fine. The molding of the holster looks more like the late issue Detective Spl. then the Chief's Spl.
View attachment 105033 View attachment 105034
This holster positions the gun low on the belt but still provides a quick grab.

While on the subject of the Bianchi 3S, does anyone know if the one for a 1911 allows cocked and locked carry? The reviews on Midway contradict this.
I have the definitive answers to all three questions :)

1. EPS's online catalogue lists only copies. Fair enough that the company owns the assets of Myres and so their homages from that era are earned (indeed EPS existed in 1889 but they were not holster makers of note and this is not that company). But contemporary makers like Galco, Bianchi/Safariland and Sparks/Nelson have been thoroughly "flattered" throughout the rest of the range.

2. the DeSantis is clearly moulded for the Chief, as indicated by the 5 shot cylinder fluting; the Colt is a 6 shot cylinder.

3. I designed all the sizes of the 3S while Bianchi's chief of design, and the 1911 was sculpted and moulded for Condition One. That the company now illustrates it in Condition Three is likely a misguided attempt to stave off lawsuits (owner Safariland gets sued a LOT according to public records) while knowing full well that SA autos will be carried cocked in their holsters (many in Safari management such as Scott and Bill are active pro shooters on the 1911 circuit).

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I had a Bianchi 19L (IIRC) paddle holster and it was definitely condition one. At one time I think we might of had a 3S for the 1911; although a RH, I need LH, and it was cocked and locked carry. I could not find any pictures with the 1911 in a 3S.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use the Sp101 holster for both weapons, the DS and SP101, and it works very well. The 3S Bianchi is a very versatile and useful holster. Thumbreak security, adjustable cant, and reinforced opening for one hand holstering, thin and easy to carry IWB. One of the best rigs Bianchi has ever made and that is saying a lot!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just received the Bianchi Model 3S Pistol Pocket holster from Safariland (left hand) for my DS (1968 vintage). The Model # for the holster is 18019. The holster fits the DS nicely. IWB with belt loop and retaining strap. Thanks for this informative thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts