Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this Magnum Research Lone Wolf pistol in .30-06 for things that go bump in the night.

Attachments

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Described as a "handful". I had a Thompson Contender with a 10" 30-30 barrel on it to shoot 200 meter silhouette. It did a great job but was definitly a handful :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, if that Lone Wolf doesn't take care of what ever goes bump in the night then you'll have a bigger problem. It's a good chance the what ever the thing is it isn't from earth!!:)

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Its Indian name is either "Broken Wrist" or "Dented Forehead".

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I've owned and hunted with many different calibered Thompson Center Contenders in various barrel lengths. I've also owned and hunted with a few Remington XP-100's. The .7mm-08 may have been the most accurate for hunting purposes and zeroing in it could be said to have been a handful.

I'm betting a .30-06 as a hand tool is a real attention getter! :cool:

I'm not certain, but I suspect only a portion of its powder will burn in that length barrel and would worry about shooting it in home defense in a city or suburbs where it could penetrate and exit through more than one wall..

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Fire it once without strong hearing protection an you won't be hearing anything again.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm waiting for the automatic 10 shot model myself.:cool:

Reactions: Hopalong

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
I brought home a gifted piece from Afghanistan some time back - a Martini-Henry .303 pistol - 'covered' in proof marks and inspection marks.

Actually will fire a .303 round, but what no one mentions is that the projectile gets pulled and strands of cordite (actual cordite) removed, so that the resultant power is more like .38 S&W.

Largely ceremonial - yet serviceable.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
When I was introduced to the Thompson Contender and Remington XP-100s years ago I was somewhat surprised that the recoil was not nearly so bad as I had anticipated. True, muzzle blast was indeed attention getting, but recoil was far less than expected.

I'm not saying this to be macho, but then you must realize you're only getting a 120 ~ 150 bullet going, as opposed to handgun cartridges that get bullets of 250~ 350 grains going. There was an XP-100 in .308 Winchester that really had a muzzle blast, as well as a 7 x 57 Mauser. When these were touched off, your pants legs flapped around you ankles, but recoil was not all that bad. A 500 gr. .45-70 load was far more impressive in the Contender.

And, true, powders must be adapted to these cases to work well in the shorter barrels.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I have a S&W model 53 that is .22 jet. Thats a 357 necked down to .22. Also have a TC Contender with a barrel in .256 Win mag. That also is a 357 necked down to .256. Both are very loud but don't kick. Also have a barrel for the contender that is 45 Colt and .410. The .410 will get your attention. Still, I also own guns in .44 mag, other .45 Colts etc. They don't kick as bad as a light S&W J frame snub in .38 special with hot loads and the small service grips. A .32 H&R mag or .327 also has a sharp bark but next to no recoil. All a matter of physic`s I guess. The worst "kicker" I ever shot was a H&R Handygun in .410 gauge many years ago. The grip was similar feeling to a hacksaw. It felt like the gun took a flying run straight at your hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts