Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Beautiful. Isn't 2nd generation 4 3/4" .38s extremely scarce? And it sure looks 4 3/4" to me.
Edit: Pretty fast on the draw there, saintclair!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Great find!

I'm afraid the grips look like repros though. The very dull look can be the giveaway. Are they numbered to match the gun on the backs?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim:
Yes the grips are numbered to the gun and I agree they look kind of dull for the period. If they are repros they are the best I've ever seen.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
The "dull appearance" of the left stock was probably from a Mold that had been used a lot and the surface had dulled down. All it would have taken was to polish the mold a little and they would then have "shine" again to them.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Marvin,
I hit the grips with a toothbrush and some Armor All and they shined up a little, but still on the dull side.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Jim. I did as you suggested and they came out with a little more shine. I think some of the dullness was 60 years worth of body oil and grunge from human hands.

·
Registered
135 Posts
leo, that's a great revolver you have.I like the duller look of your grips vs higher shine. Its cool pc and rare one in 4.75". a month ago I picked up a 5.5" in 38 spl. mfg 1956. mine has walnut grips. Fellow said they were original to the gun. don't see any numbers inside but they are concaved inside like the rubbers are. that is the wood stands taller all along the edge of grip frame.
you have a nice find but not to nice to shoot. Phil

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Phil:
Thanks for the kind words. One of the driving factors on the purchase was, I have .38 Special with 5 1/2" barrel just 3,330 numbers earlier. They are a great brace of SAAS with serial numbers 14444SA and 17774SA. I really like the repeat in numbers.

P.S.
Your grips sound original and serial number would have been marked with white pencil. Probably washed away with oil and time.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
That's a great looking SAA. I'm a sucker for 4.75" 38 specials.

However, mine are third generations. I haven't been fortunate to find a second generation. Yours is perfect - it looks great but has just enough wear to enjoy shooting it.

Here is one of mine with factory ivory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts