Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a few pistols but I wanted something different and unique and IMHO beautiful

I found a 6 inch 38 special colt custom by Bill Davis . . . The tag said Colt Python on it ( but its not)

I picked it up and the trigger was like butter smooth and light with a bobbed hammer, Was a DAO type trigger the dealer said.

I dont know much about it but I can't wait to get the to range with it!

can anyone tell me some more about it ?
6 inch bull barrel

Bobbed hammer
SN# 662##

Thx

full
http://i44.tinypic.com/346ujnk.jpg

close up pony :
http://i42.tinypic.com/18kuur.jpg

full again :
http://i42.tinypic.com/34qw6eu.jpg

bull barrel
http://i40.tinypic.com/29nz607.jpg

So any idea what model it is? Is it really a Bill davis and also how much is it worth give or take ?

Thanks

Jay

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
There was it's twin at a the Sweetwater Rifle & Pistol Club gun show 2 weekends ago. I forgot the asking price on it (think maybe 1100) though I believe it wore competition target wood stocks.

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
Even if you're not a competitor this would make an excellent hi-tech plinker or under 50 yard varmint gun. Are these guns out of fashion now among competition shooters? Nice gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I paid 600$ cash but It was labeled a 357 python. . . I'm actually quite upset as I had no idea it Wasnt 357 till I went to load it . . .

How much would you pay and what model is it ??

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
$600 is an excellent price for the revolver you have. And when you see how well it shoots.....Watch out for the never ending grin..

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I paid 600$ cash but It was labeled a 357 python. . . I'm actually quite upset as I had no idea it Wasnt 357 till I went to load it . . .

How much would you pay and what model is it ??

Thanks guys
Being totally unfamiliar with a Bill Davis custom I googled it (I cheat a lot). Seems he built his version of competition target revolvers on S&W frames. Then there was reference to the "slab" barrel (I guess cause it looks like a slab?) Anyways, worth? No clue.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Being totally unfamiliar with a Bill Davis custom I googled it (I cheat a lot). Seems he built his version of competition target revolvers on S&W frames. Then there was reference to the "slab" barrel (I guess cause it looks like a slab?) Anyways, worth? No clue.
Slab-sided. Heavy round barrel is cut flat on the sides. May be something to do with shooting from behind barricades, as they do in PPC. Flat side may give an index point against side of barricade.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Slab-sided. Heavy round barrel is cut flat on the sides. May be something to do with shooting from behind barricades, as they do in PPC. Flat side may give an index point against side of barricade.
It was a cosmetic thing. I had one identical except my barrel was round stainless steel. When shooting a revolver from a barricade you push your weak hand knuckles up against the edge of the barricade. The cop types I shot with were able to use slapper gloves (lead in the outside od the fingers) to help anchor without pain. Being a civilian we were not allowed to purchase such evil items.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I think you got a pretty good buy. Bill Davis made competition guns when I was shooting the PPC matches in the early 70s. They are fantastic examples of gunsmithing, & I've never seen one that didn't shoot well.
Congratulatioins on a nice gun. Bill mostly used S&W K frames. His work is fantastic!
Frank

PS: The front sight is calibrated for the standard 7, 25, & 50 yards. Most would zero the gun , then use the button to move the front sight to the other yardages. It actually worked quite well.
FV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know nothing about it, I was looking for my first revolver and I wanted a 357 but this looked awesome, heavy and big so I worked it out . . . I think its as colt officers model 38 the trigger is soooo smooth and light I love it

·
Registered
563 Posts
Who cares it is only a .38, I will trade you my MK III Trooper .357 for it right now if you want a .357!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Too late, he traded up to a Taurus.
Denis
Negative I had a talk with the dealer and got 150$ back and 100$ toward a taurus 608 Still have the colt :)

So basically I paid 450$ for it after the cash back and then 500 for the new taurus 608 (6.5 inch, ported, 357, chrome, 8 rounds)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts