Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this! As some of you already know, our parents left us detailed instructions in a notebook on how we were to “Sell the Collection”. We’ve read some nasty comments on local Texas A&M sites (frankly, I expect more out of my Aggies but that’s a different discussion) and I just want to clarify my sister and I are not fighting. We are completely aligned in honoring our parents wishes. The pressure to keep this treasure safe is immense and we are simply not equipped to hang on to it. My parents understood this…hence the notebook. BTW, don’t read any of the comments at the end of this article because you know people have their opinions, which they’re entitled to in our free country, but it doesn’t mean we have to read them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear that your receiving a hard time from people who have no clue. Isn't sad that people will go on the record and say things with such conviction about you but have never even spoke to you or have any first hand knowledge.
Yes, it’s sad but I’m not surprised. We knew we’d get the comments from the anti gun brigade, as well, demanding that it all be destroyed. All I can say to these people is don’t request a catalog.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
At my age I don’t really worry about what other people may or may not say about me. I do have quite a few three word responses though, not necessarily the same three words or in the same order. Good luck on your sale.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I'm sorry you have to deal with the "unwashed masses" and their comments. On one hand I am a bit surprised at the negative Aggie comments (I haven't read them). It would seem like they would be a little more supportive. On the other hand, some of the Aggies I do know are hardcore believers that anything associated with A&M should remain on the campus.
Like my Dad (UT Grad) said when Mom was around...Opinions are like elbows, everybody has one. He was more specific when Mom wasn't around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It just amazes me how many people think they know everything about everything. This, to me, is why the internet is such a crazy place. On one hand you have places like this where people who share a common interest can go to share with each other, help each other and learn from each other. I love reading everything here. Everyone is respectful of each other and each other's opinions. I learn so much and meet some really great, really interesting people, like yourself.
However, on the other hand, you have the vast majority of the internet which is full of hateful, opinionated people who want nothing more than to tear everyone else down. The hard part is ignoring these people because they are everywhere. They know practically nothing about anything but think they are experts on everything. I'm sorry you and your sister are having to deal with this. Just know that the people who you would really want to be friends with would never act that way and look at it as a great way to pinpoint the people to stay away from. My best to your family in all of this. Stay strong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry you have to deal with the "unwashed masses" and their comments. On one hand I am a bit surprised at the negative Aggie comments (I haven't read them). It would seem like they would be a little more supportive. On the other hand, some of the Aggies I do know are hardcore believers that anything associated with A&M should remain on the campus.
Like my Dad (UT Grad) said when Mom was around...Opinions are like elbows, everybody has one. He was more specific when Mom wasn't around.
I like that rated G elbow comment😹 My die hard Aggie uncle read the comments on the Aggie Forum and set the record straight. He knew of daddy before his sister knew of daddy and said “You should marry Jim Earle!” He was 11. She married him 6 mos later.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Well I didn't see the destroy them crowd coming after our beloved history but I should have. Many of you know that I am an elected official and I can tell you when you do nothing wrong( like in my case) they just make it up. After one hater discovered my Gun Broker account( which wasn't hidden) started posting how I am a gun dealer, of course implying the illegal type. Why else would he always include gun show loop holes in his comments. The haters will attack with no regards to you or how it impacts your family members but I digress.

I can't believe nobody is talking about Johnny Ringo gun...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I didn't see the destroy them crowd coming after our beloved history but I should have. Many of you know that I am an elected official and I can tell you when you do nothing wrong( like in my case) they just make it up. After one hater discovered my Gun Broker account( which wasn't hidden) started posting how I am a gun dealer, of course implying the illegal type. Why else would he always include gun show loop holes in his comments. The haters will attack with no regards to you or how it impacts your family members but I digress.

I can't believe nobody is talking about Johnny Ringo gun...
I LOVE The Johnny Ringo gun!🔥The serial number 222. The mystery behind his death. And what a name! If you have a name like Johnny Ringo you’re going to be famous, infamous, or both.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Any noise or writings that spews out of anti-gun brigade Bolshevik pie holes or "infernal machines" * is automatically labeled useless idiot info by me and trash canned.

Sorry to hear that the even great state of Texas has a few of them, out here in the late great golden state we are up to our necks in them- and just as fed up with them.

Keep punching T.G. you are doing the right thing darn sure!

*T.M. Jim Martin lol

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Just read this! As some of you already know, our parents left us detailed instructions in a notebook on how we were to “Sell the Collection”. We’ve read some nasty comments on local Texas A&M sites (frankly, I expect more out of my Aggies but that’s a different discussion) and I just want to clarify my sister and I are not fighting. We are completely aligned in honoring our parents wishes. The pressure to keep this treasure safe is immense and we are simply not equipped to hang on to it. My parents understood this…hence the notebook. BTW, don’t read any of the comments at the end of this article because you know people have their opinions, which they’re entitled to in our free country, but it doesn’t mean we have to read them.

I wonder if Pat Garrett's Colt SAA will bring more than the Billy The Kid tintype? It sold for $2.3 million.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if Pat Garrett's Colt SAA will bring more than the Billy The Kid tintype? It sold for $2.3 million.
I got to see the tin type in person because I know the man that bought it. If anyone can preserve that tintype along with all the other extraordinary items in his collection it’s this man. Everything is temperature controlled and delicately placed in flat files etc. He’s next level with his level of care. I would be more than pleased if he had the winning bid on the gun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An old friend in England sent me an article from "The Times" about the auction. It says the gun that shot Billy The Kid might go as high as $3 million.
He asked if I was going to bid... 😂 😂 😂
Do the auction estimates seem low to anybody else? Auctions like this is what anonymous collectors with very deep pockets wait for.
We had the collection appraised for the IRS and that’s where the estimates come from. I think? There aren’t a lot of comps out there because my parents owned everything in this genre.

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
Beware dealing with the IRS...they are not your friends. If the realized sales prices don't meet what they consider market value, they will assess you the difference with penalties. I've seen that happen with real estate...the family had to come up with the cash to pay IRA what they assessed it at.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beware dealing with the IRS...they are not your friends. If the realized sales prices don't meet what they consider market value, they will assess you the difference with penalties. I've seen that happen with real estate...the family had to come up with the cash to pay IRA what they assessed it at.
You’re 100% right and we went back and forth with an established auction house in Texas re the unusually low values because of our exposure to taxes. They’re reply: stop complaining this is found money. So we had another quickie appraisal done and those numbers were higher but it’s hard to find the comps. Thankfully the second auction more knowledgable house used the tintype as a comp whereas the TX auction house refused to use it. At least we have the voice messages and emails to show the IRS we went with “experts” and did the best we could with their people.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It just amazes me how many people think they know everything about everything. This, to me, is why the internet is such a crazy place. On one hand you have places like this where people who share a common interest can go to share with each other, help each other and learn from each other. I love reading everything here. Everyone is respectful of each other and each other's opinions. I learn so much and meet some really great, really interesting people, like yourself.
However, on the other hand, you have the vast majority of the internet which is full of hateful, opinionated people who want nothing more than to tear everyone else down. The hard part is ignoring these people because they are everywhere. They know practically nothing about anything but think they are experts on everything. I'm sorry you and your sister are having to deal with this. Just know that the people who you would really want to be friends with would never act that way and look at it as a great way to pinpoint the people to stay away from. My best to your family in all of this. Stay strong.
Thank you for your support. Truly appreciated. I still believe people are good at their core and refuse to believe the press that we all HATE each other. Social media is gross…I look at “news” and carry on with my life. I never bother with the comments. This site on the other hand is gold. If I’m going into battle I’m aligning with Colt Forum members all day💜

·
Registered
Have always had an affinity for antique Colt Single Actions!
373 Posts
Thank you for your support. Truly appreciated. I still believe people are good at their core and refuse to believe the press that we all HATE each other. Social media is gross…I look at “news” and carry on with my life. I never bother with the comments. This site on the other hand is gold. If I’m going into battle I’m aligning with Colt Forum members all day💜
And we with you!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts