Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I've got a standard carbine length MOE handguard on my LE6920 and I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach a mount for a bipod. I have an MVG attached to the middle slot on the handguard and it doesn't leave enough room to add Magpul's shortest picatinny section in front of it. Am I going to have to move the vertical grip back to the the end slot on the handguard and mount a rail section or is there another way and/or place to attach something that a bipod can then attach to?

Hopefully that makes sense and thanks in advance for any advice!

-Jeff

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a LE6920 and replaced the stock handguard with a quadrail. They're not that expensive and easy to install. You'll have 6.7" of picatinny rail on all four sides to do whatever you want.

I would offer specific options that I went with but I'm the blithering idiot here that buys things that no one else would consider buying. Someone else should be along shortly....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Colt, I appreciate the feedback. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it work with Magpul MOE handguard if possible but may have to take the quad rail route. -Jeff

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have a Magpul MOE carbine handguard on one of my non Colt M4 style carbine, it's on my LMT carbine that I used all MOE black furniture, I have a short MOE 7 slot rail installed on the left side of my handguard for my light and a MOE vertical forward grip mounted at the middle of the bottom side.

I think even if you use the smallest 5 slot MOE rail it seems to me that it won't fit unless you move your vertical grip at the rear most location.

If you don't want to move your vertical grip then the only way is to mount the rail forward at the bayonet lug, there are many brands that makes them, I've got a friend that use a Crosstac but he's mainly using it as a light mount, with the Crosstrac you have to remove your front sling swivel and its rivet before you could mount it.

There's other brands that don't require you to remove your front sling swivel, see the address below for a sample, there are other brands that are similar to it.

Crosstachttp://www.crosstac.com/product/ar-15-front-sight-picatinny-rail

http://gunandsurplus.com/gun-parts-...6-bayonet-lug-mounted-tactical-picatinny-railhttp://gunandsurplus.com/gun-parts-...6-bayonet-lug-mounted-tactical-picatinny-railhttp://gunandsurplus.com/gun-parts-...6-bayonet-lug-mounted-tactical-picatinny-rail

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks AR! I really like that Crosstac, fit and finish looks good. I think that's the way I'll go. I assume your buddy is happy with his?

How much work is it to remove the front sling swivel?

Yeah, I measured the distance between the mid mounted MVG and that front lip on the bottom of the MOE and there isn't enough room for the 5 slot rail section. I like the vertical grip in that middle position; if I'm going to move it back I may as well just take it off and hold on to the front of the magazine well.

Anyway, thanks again! Exactly what I had in mind :)

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks AR! I really like that Crosstac, fit and finish looks good. I think that's the way I'll go. I assume your buddy is happy with his?

How much work is it to remove the front sling swivel?
My friend is happy with his Crosstac, no movement at all because of the tension screw, he's using a small Surefire light model X300.

The front sling swivel rivet is very easy to remove, I had removed several Colt and my LMT carbine swivels, use a 1/16 punch, punch the rivet on the concave side (the end that mushroomed after riveting), tap it lightly a couple of times with a small hammer and it should break the rivet end.

Now all you need to do is to replace that factory sling swivel with a Magpul MOE handguard sling mount.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it. If I want to remove the whole clamp assembly that goes around the barrel should I just use a punch to push the roll pins holding it together through?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Got it. If I want to remove the whole clamp assembly that goes around the barrel should I just use a punch to push the roll pins holding it together through?
Oops, sorry I thought you have the standard sling swivel at the bottom of the front sight base like on the Magpul MOE and 2013 configuration 6920 models.

Yes if you have the side sling swivel mounted on the barrel under the front sight, just punch one of the roll pins out, does not matter what direction whatever is easier for you, maybe put some layers of masking tape around the sling swivel so you won't accidentally scratch anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Got it. It came out fine but then I lost the roll pin between slats on the deck. Damnit. Oh well, don't anticipate needing to re-attach it in the future. Gonna order one of the Crosstac rails tonight and then look around for a good, reasonably priced bipod. I don't need anything too fancy. Just want to use it at the range and when I'm laying prone shooting stuff up at my cabin. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks. Got it. It came out fine but then I lost the roll pin between slats on the deck. Damnit. Oh well, don't anticipate needing to re-attach it in the future. Gonna order one of the Crosstac rails tonight and then look around for a good, reasonably priced bipod. I don't need anything too fancy. Just want to use it at the range and when I'm laying prone shooting stuff up at my cabin. Any recommendations?
It's easier to take out the side sling swivel than the swivel under the front sight, you could drag a magnet under your deck to get your roll pin back before it gets wet when it rains.

I'm not much of a bipod kind of guy my last bipod was a USGI for my Springfield M1A 7.62 National match rifle, but a majority of my friends use Harris bipods with their AR, they're made in the USA, even our military are using it.

My friends prefer the notched leg models because they're easy to set up even both legs, Harris model HBLM 9" to 13" are what they mostly have, bench rest only guys use the HBRM 6" to 9", you might also want to get their picatinny rail mount that also swivels.

Harris Bipods

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again AR. I actually contacted Crosstac and it turns out they just moved their operation here to Colorado about a week ago and it's not too far from where I am. I asked them if I could save myself shipping charges and just swing by and pick one up. They said they're still working on getting their retail side up and running but told me they could still sell me one and invited me to come by and check out their operation. Pretty cool. Gonna head up there tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. -Jeff

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I went by their shop yesterday and picked one up then got it attached tonight. They are still moving in so there wasn't much to see but the owner of the company was on site and sold me one. It was a breeze to install (if you don't count getting the top half of the hand guard off!). It sits tight and solid and I'm pretty damn happy with the way it looks.
Took a couple pics with the phone tonight. I'll post some better ones in natural light later...

Gun Airsoft Air gun Shotgun Airsoft gun Gun Firearm Airsoft Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Get the Harris BR 6"-9" bipod and never need another for bench rest or prone position height adjustment for uneven terrain and canting feature models are very good.Midway has them on sale now and then,worth the money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Ranger, I am sold on a Harris. Just trying to decide which one! So the BR is OK for using off the bench? Looking at their site it's a bit hard to tell. Using their model code I was thinking that I needed to look at the L or LR versions. Is 9" enough for a 30 round mag to clear the ground/bench? Lastly, is it worth it to get one with a pivot? Seems like something I might want shooting somewhere other than a bench but don't want to spend the extra $$ if I don't need to.

Thanks!

-Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get what you are saying Jeff. I have the carbine MOE hand guard on my 6920. I have yet to mount my bi-pod but when looking at if you use the shorty picatinny rail it would have to be mounted all the way back in order to slide the bi-pod on. Seems to me as you say, hang on to clip instead. So I'm thinking place the rail up front and slide the bi-pod forwards, alternatively after removing the hand guards mount the rail and bi pod as far forward as possible and remount the guard. Of course you couldn't slide it off without dismantling the guard. I'm rambling since I have not done this yet, waiting for the delta ring tool to arrive. I'll play with it and let you know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Nick, thanks for the response. I think I have it figured out with the addition of the Crosstac rail that mounts under the front sight but definitely let me know how it turns out on yours because you never know, I may want a change in the future. I attached a couple more pics of my setup with the Crosstac picatinny installed if it interests you. Thing is solid as hell, no play whatsoever between it and the rifle. Haven't bought a bipod yet but I will in the next week or so.

Gun Airsoft Airsoft gun Air gun Shooting Gun Firearm Assault rifle Airsoft Airsoft gun

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I don't think the canting model is worth while on the BR models also I do not think a 30rnd. mag will work under it either, maybe at the 9" level. I don't use 30 rnd mags at the bench, 5 and 10 rnd. mags. work for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On my MOE handguard I mounted a Harris bipod to it by using a machine threaded quick disconnect swivel stud from Walmart (they are made by Winchester). I put a small flat washer on the
outside and inside of the HG then cut the swivels thread to the proper length and used a small metric nut that fit the threads from Lowes.

It works great and is very simple to make, I've done this for the regular Colt M4 HG too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts