Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the date of manufacture of a Nickle Plated Colt New Service in .45 acp with the last patent date on the barrel of July 4, 1905.
On the bottom of the Barrel it says United States Property.
Serial number 349***

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Richard,looks like someone put an earlier barrel from one of the military issue 1917 on a New Service made in 1940,based upon the 349xxx serial # on the frame you gave. NO 1917s were Nickle Plated by the factory also,so either the barrel or the entire gun was nickled plated after it left the Colt factory. This is my "take" on it,from what info youve given without seeing the actual gun. Bud

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does this confirm what you said:
The serial number on the butt is 152***.
The grips are walnut-looking but no medallions.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Now I am confused! IF the gun is a Military issued 1917 New Service,the serial number will be on the inside of the frame,as you open the cylinder. 349xxx is way too high a number for a 1917. On the butt,it will say "U.S. Army" Model 1917" then a separate number,and the 152xxx is in the range for a 1917. Is there a lanyard ring or "loop" hanging from the bottom of the butt,it swivels? The smooth walnut grips ARE correct for a military issued 1917,but not the Nickle Plating. Bud

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't say US Army Model on the Butt. Only the 152 number but it has 152 on top then the other 3 numbers underneath that.
There is a hole that has been plugged on the bottom where the ring would be.
Yes the 349*** is on the inside.

<<Now I am confused! IF the gun is a Military issued 1917 New Service,the serial number will be on the inside of the frame,as you open the cylinder. 349xxx is way too high a number for a 1917. On the butt,it will say "U.S. Army" Model 1917" then a separate number,and the 152xxx is in the range for a 1917. Is there a lanyard ring or "loop" hanging from the bottom of the butt,it swivels? The smooth walnut grips ARE correct for a military issued 1917,but not the Nickle Plating. Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ok,your frame #349xxx was one of the several thousand later model New service FRAMES only that Colt made and sold to the Govt. at Springfield Armory in the late 1930's to be used in a 1917 "rebuilding" program. There could be an "X" just below the serial # 349xxx inside the frame. The barrel,was probably taken from the 1917 that had butt# 152xxx. Some of these frames were kept by Colt,and after World War Two,they allowed their employees to "build" New services out of left over parts(in many calibers & bbl. lengths). They did NOT resume production of the New Service after WW Two, a mistake in my opinion. These left over parts were sold to the employees at scrap prices. Also,many 1917s were sold by dealers in the 1960's for prices ranging from $20 to $35! Mail Order of course! So your gun is either a "lunch box gun",built by a Colt employee or a 1917 sold as "surplus" by a dealer in the 1960's. Some of these big dealers,nickle plated a few guns,as the dull blue,roughly polished military finish,isn't too attractive,or a local shop couldve plated it for a prior owner.Quien sabe(who knows?). I've been collecting,rebuilding,but mostly shooting,New Services in earnest for 20 years,and have run into as many "modified" guns as I have "stock" guns,especially the 1917s and British contract .455s from W.W. One. But thats what makes it fun. Hope this has helped some. These guns are wonderful shooters,and .45 auto ammo is "cheap" if you dont handload. All you need now is a pair of pearl or stag grips(or imitation ones) to dress up that nickle plated gun! Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thank you for the "Thank You",Richard. All too rare around the internet sites today: My pleasure;enjoyed getting some of the old New Services outta the vault and some books off the shelves! Bud

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
Enlightning answer . Thanks Bud . Richard ,sorry mine wasn't as complete at the other forum .

Bud , I think I'm going to do more than "get a few from the vault" . I'm going to take a few to the range today .

Thanks . New Service ... a true classic !

[This message has been edited by guy sajer (edited 09-29-2004).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts