Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I just saved your pic and enhanced it - to see the caliber marking more clearly. The "For" does look strange, as added?

Check the chamber for 32-20 vs. 32 S&W.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Now this may be of interest. My "For 32 S&W CTG." marking scaled to yours, and pasted right below your caliber marking. Every letter/number lines up horizontally, and most fakers cannot get that right! What think ye now?

What I am beginning to suspect - is that the roll die was used, but the operation left a partial F at the ).

Attachments

Reactions: Bigl1911

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes. the Parentheses mark ) seems to be altered to form the F
I think we need the short version of the long story.
Short story (- Bisley) and S&W were two separate.Not uncommon for stamp overlap.. I was deeply suspect. However, after discussing with Colt factory archives and local experts this is not uncommon especially with old calibers (this is one of 17 in this caliber). The gun letters so we know it is correct assuming original finish. Finish was meticulously inspected visually by other local expert(s) to the point of comparing small era flat top target in 99" condition as a basis for finish clarification. Cut to the case last Sunday was spent basically in SSA finish master class. I now know how to detect a correct factor finish fo this era gun on my own. Thanks for the post..

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh man that is gorgeous! I'd have to dress up in a suit to hit the range with that beauty! Nicely done - please share the story when you can.
Really long and I can only share part of it. Going back to my last post about the two guns. I passed on the flat top Frontier. I really liked the gun but there were questions in my mind about the finish. The gun is off to RIA for a sale in the future. It is a real beauty. Hopefully RIA can determine if it is factory or not.

I had seller and one of our local SAA experts meet up last weekend both socially and as a favor. No names on the post in order to keep privacy, but let's leave it as a known expert is deep into 6 figure valued early Colts including seller who is also an expert. Again, master class mini gun show and the gun turns out to be unquestionably righteous starting with the barrel has never been removed from fame and the finish under meticulous visual inspection is verified.. I go into waiting mode until Tuesday when I work out a number for the gun. Seller is a very good friend and fair person.

Under further research come to find the gun was sold under a local probate back in August only open to FFL holders. A 90 year old local collector passed a few years back and the gun just now came up for sale byway of an unsophisticated auction house where firearms are concerned. Looking at the picture via auction house the gun sold with the incorrect cylinder not the one in the gun I inspected which matched perfectly with the Bisley. I was totally bummed out thinking someone sold the gun the current seller and found 32 correct cylinder as a replacement. I couldn't understand how the cylinder could end up a perfect match??

I meet with seller telling him the story thinking he was snookered. The seller laughed telling me in a very polite manner I am too inquisitive. Turns out seller bought several guns at the auction, many with wrong or missing parts. It turns out several bins of parts were also sold at auction. Somewhere along the line someone mismatched parts or think about like a collector or knowledgable FFL would insofar as cleaning up the guns and matching parts. Seller did a heavy duty inspection, purchased several of the part bins with one having the correct matching cylinder for my gun! Turns out all the guns were originally owned by to one long time client of the seller!

I can't make this up.. To me a great story..

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now this may be of interest. My "For 32 S&W CTG." marking scaled to yours, and pasted right below your caliber marking. Every letter/number lines up horizontally, and most fakers cannot get that right! What think ye now?

What I am beginning to suspect - is that the roll die was used, but the operation left off the F. Then a Colt worker tried to add an F.
Good post thank you!! It is hard to see - the F is there overlapping the Bisley stamp bracket

·
Registered
284 Posts
Love those flattops ... can't imagine the price tag, but awesome buy. I don't think there are a great many of those in hands of anyone but the most discerning, well-off collectors anymore.

Best quality heavy-duty sixgun Colt ever put out as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts