Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As posted before I am the keeper of a 1906 Bisley 38WCF. It was researched on this Forum and agreed upon that the barrel is not a Bisley barrel but a replacement SAA 38 WCF. For sale on eBay is a Bisley Model 38 WCF barrel and cylinder, maybe 80% or less. My Bisley has a 5 1/2" barrel, which was the barrel length it had originally, per Colt letter. The one for sale on eBay is 4 3/4". I'm sure it would have to be reblued as my Bisley has been. Would it increase the monetary value of the Bisley to have a Bisley barrel, or would it decrease the value because it probably won't match the frame in color? Also, the barrel length would not match the original barrel length as stipulated by the Colt letter. I probably would have to reblue the whole Bisley to have it match. It would be nice though to have a Bisley barrel for the revolver. Thanks, Rick

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
with the replacement bbl it still wont be correct, so why spend the money on the bbl and related expenses{instalation/reblue}. your bbl could be re-marked and reblued for less money.just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dux, I figured about the same. I just didn't know if would be "cool" to mark a SAA barrel with the (Bisley Model) markings. Rick

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
hey rick, why not e-mail the resto fellow and ask how much to remark your bbl correctly and refinish as shown{ less the gold bands} /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dux,I kinda like those gold bands and the casehardening rather than my present blue. Maybe he does charity work for Forum "enthusiasts!" Do you think Mitch will allow Requesting donations for Revolver Restoration? (RRR) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i belive the gold work is somewhere in the neighborhood of 40$ per inch. e-mail him a photo of your gun and ask how much to finnish as shown and remark your bbl to correct type. cant hurt anything to ask /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dux, the problem with remarking that SAA barrel is that it has a one line adress on it, while the Bisley 5 1/2" barrel has a two line Hartford adress, like the one for sale on eBay. I guess I could have him redo the whole barrel to make it become a Bisley barrel. Would that be considered a wrong thing to do from a purist perspective? Rick

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
it would be no problem to remove current single line completly and add the correct marking, in my opinion easier than swapping bbl and still having the wrong lenght. as far as i know there is no internal or external differences between the saa and bisley bbls of the same era save the marking.is the frt site correct height to put the shots correctly on target?? if so you are in business!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dux, point of aim is off like most SA's of that era, but when I adjust it I can hit the bullseye somtimes. Would he have to buff off the adress, then reblue it? The reblueing would have to match the frame to look any good. Rick

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also ask the question as to why replace a Bisley barrel with a SAA one anyway? I know Bisley's were rarer than the SAA's in the 38 WCF, but I would think that whoever did the refinishing work would have wanted to keep the integrity of the Bisley.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts