Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of my favourites, .44 W&S (.44R) Bisley Flat-top Target no. 164310. It's got the star* on the trigger guard, the checkering on the hammer does not have the border which suggests a later pattern or replacement, the fancy wood grips might be later too. I think it's got an old refinish, might be factory work I suspect. Shoots like train! Real nail puncher at 20 yards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,522 Posts
That pair of grips are very unusual. I have seen some similar on SAA's, but not on Bisleys. Great looking gun!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
If I recall (not looking it up to be sure), they only made about 400 Bisley targets with adjustable sights. That makes it one of the rarest Colts. I've seen one at a show, once about 2 years ago. If I recall the seller was asking $12,000. It's interesting to see how rareity doesn't always equate value (look at how high Pythons got, and they're very common). But to me is a valuable gun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. saintclair: re- the fancy grips on the Bisley. You're right, I'd missed that point, like you I've seen that pattern of wood grip on SAAs and New Services Targets but now you draw my attention to it, not on the Bisley model. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I have seen those grips on a Bisley....somewhere...at some time.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
I went to a gun show out here in the spring. A vendor had a set of those grips but his wife didn't know how much. When I went back to buy them from her husband he wouldn't sell them to me. I guess I said Oooooo these are nice and he had them prices too low.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Superb Target Bisley and rare grips with each medallion facing forward...From Colt factory probably
Rare caliber for this kind of Bisley in target version
Have you a letter?
Connoisseur collection!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts