1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Pen Revolver Office supplies Metal
Gun Revolver Metal Copper

I found this on gunbroker, is it possible that it's a real Colt Flattop Bisley? The seller says they put USFA grips on it, but claims to know very little about it. Were there ever any additional guns made like this 2nd or 3rd gen?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Well it its rare its a very $$$$ revolver having said that not sure a USFA Flatop grips would just fit an old bisley. Also did he just happen to have a spare USFA Flatop laying around, not too many of them around. Anyhow if it is a true Colt it looks re-finished.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
That gun has been refinished...look at the Metal closely...it still has the brush marks, which if orginal from COLT would not be like that. Don't know what you paid.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well not yet, but I've agreed to buy it. I want to know the serial number, and try and track down some type of information on it before I send the money. I figured it was refinished, but he claims the serial numbers all match and Turnbull has touched it at some point. I appreciate the comments. I'm on the hook, unless I find it's been totally misrepresented. From what you can see in the pictures does it least look like Colt vs. USFA?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Can you guys weigh in , obviously re-finished but aren't these things ultra rare and unfinished originals bring 10k-40k when they do sell. Refinished should be a good buy if matching checked out serial#'at $2,400 ? Thats my question .... a very nice looking revolver you purchased.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you guys weigh in , obviously re-finished but aren't these things ultra rare and unfinished originals bring 10k-40k when they do sell. Refinished should be a good buy if matching checked out serial#'at $2,400 ? Thats my question .... a very nice looking revolver you purchased.
I paced around the house for several hours begging my wife to take a chance on it. That's what I thought, but I'm a rookie at best when judging guns. I figured if it was a USFA it would go for close to two grand.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are getting cold feet, I'll bail you out on it. Seriously. I think that is a good price for a Colt Bisley Target you can shoot.
Thanks. I appreciate it, but I think it will be ok. :) I'm more of a shooter than collector anyway. I do hope it's all Colt. I guess when I get the serial number, I can try and track it down. I'll post some pictures when I get it in hand. I appreciate all the comments. If anyone has any first hand experience with these, feel free to PM or post.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes. Lots of questions, but I thought it might be worth the risk. Live and learn.
I am in agrement with you in taking the risk. Recently purchased one in rough condition that is currently being tuned and cleaned up a bit. Reckoned I would never own a good one without taking out a mortgage. Calibre is 38 Colt and I shelled out $1500 for it.

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am in agrement with you in taking the risk. Recently purchased one in rough condition that is currently being tuned and cleaned up a bit. Reckoned I would never own a good one without taking out a mortgage. Calibre is 38 Colt and I shelled out $1500 for it.

View attachment 48330

Looks pretty good for the money, and you can shoot it, and /or restore it. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
A USFA wouldn't have the rampant pony or Colt markings. I would have zero doubt as to Doug's description. Judging by the pics and the description, I would say it has been refinished in Turbull's shop to the appropriate charcoal blue. You got a hell of a deal on it, even the USFA's are going for that much. I would say it probably should've gone for at least double what it did.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Thanks. I appreciate it, but I think it will be ok. :) I'm more of a shooter than collector anyway. I do hope it's all Colt. I guess when I get the serial number, I can try and track it down. I'll post some pictures when I get it in hand. I appreciate all the comments. If anyone has any first hand experience with these, feel free to PM or post.
Call Colt archive dept and give them the serial number, they will look it up and tell you if it left the factory as a flat top target. Then if you want, for $150 they will send you a letter within two weeks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.