Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Colt ever make the Bisley model in .38 Colt Long. I have not seen the pistol yet but he claims it is a .38 colt long Bisley model. I can't find anything on a Bisley in .38 long.

Ronin

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ronin, I have found in Cochran Vol I, page 333 a table that indicates 412 Bisley's were made in .38 Colt. He gives credit for the numbers to John E Parsons. I suspect someone here has better reference material....perhaps they will be along in due course.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Brown agrees with Cochran; 412 standard frame Bisleys and 96 Flat Top Targets made in 38 Colt.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS EVERYONE !!!!!!! I'll let you guys know if I get it or even see it.

Ronin

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Bring an empty .38 Special shell with ya' so you can see if the chambers have been reamed out. If so, you can try for a discount.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hello, everyone. The use of the longer .38 spec. case for cyl. hole inspection might not be an accurate method to determine if cyl. was altered.
Most, if not all (the dbl. action army models anyway) were bored straight thru, with no step. This is a particularly dangerous trap for the uninformed gun owners who think..if it fits..it's right..in this case, even a .357 ctg. will fit! turning an old Colt into a bomb.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Hello, everyone. The use of the longer .38 spec. case for cyl. hole inspection might not be an accurate method to determine if cyl. was altered.
Most, if not all (the dbl. action army models anyway) were bored straight thru, with no step. This is a particularly dangerous trap for the uninformed gun owners who think..if it fits..it's right..in this case, even a .357 ctg. will fit! turning an old Colt into a bomb.
Whenever reading about the .357 magnums case length, it's always mentioned that, "...but it will still fit in the old Colt DA .38 long Colts that are bored straight through." I've never encountered a SAA variation in any caliber bored straight through and don't think they exist. But if you look in the cylinder and see a shoulder, and a .38 Special fits, it's been reamed out. Just look in there. It's an unlikely scenario anyway but I've seen itin a .44 Russia New Service Target I owned remed out to .44 Spl. But I knew that when I bought it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts