Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that most of those that own 1st generation SAA contact Colt for a letter showing where their gun were shipped for reasons of adding value, provenance, and hopefully some western history. However, I have not seen any efforts associated with the Bisleys that were produced during the same time frame. Other than a photo of Pancho Villa having one on his hip, were most shipped east of the Mississippi and stayed there. I am trying to decide if it is worth the cost to get a letter on a 1908 model.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You can't assume anything. Most of ALL guns were shipped East of the Mississippi, that's where 85% of the people were!

The Bisley didn't come out until 1894, when the "Old West" was closing. People letter guns from the teens, 20s through the 50s, on the off chance it went somewhere "interesting." I still don't think your chances are much better than playing scratch off lottery.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I lettered my 1909 production Bisley and discovered it shipped to Wm Hoegee Co in Los Angeles. More than a run of the mill location but not sure this qualifies as such or not...based on your criteria.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I had high hopes for my 1902 .44-40 but it shipped to Markt and Company in New York City, which l read was an export business only!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I guess my New Year's resolution is to pick either my Bisley, or my 1902 Hammer and send off for a letter. The former I got in NM and was told "it came up from Mexico". The latter has three initials engraved on the slide in big letters. I'm sure it's better to have enjoyed them for 20 years with the dream of who might have owned them, than to discover they were shipped to Fred's Hardware in Ohio or something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like I may not rush into getting a letter. I would have been happy to see shipments to the Hudson Bay Company or the North West Trading Company in some of your responses. I know they were issued to supervisors during the gold rush years a few years earlier.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Lots were sent to the Arizona mine company stores (company towns mostly just had one general store, owned by the mine) too. I would hope my Bisley is from one, but an expert told me in a private message dialog it's not likely with mine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts