Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks

I bought a Bisley SA a few years back and I finally decided to have a closer look at it. Noticed that its a 5 1/2 inch barrel with a 2 line address made me wonder about the revolver since its chambered in an unusual cartridge 44 S+W. I was wondering if some of you experienced folks could kindly comment if it looks legit?

The serial suggest a very early 1894 Bisley. Most of the blue is gone but has some considerable case coloring on the frame. The serials seem to match on the frame, trigger guard and cylinder. The wood grips have DS engraved/impressed on underside, they look a little too good condition for its age. Assembly numbers match on the loading gate, below trigger and frame. If there are my more detailed photos required please let me know and thank you for the help.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Sure looks great to me. It should say Bisley model just before the caliber marking but that may have been worn off. Or it was rebarreled at some time. Address looks correct to. I would love to have it. I like Bisleys and own a few.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
The very first Bisleys did not have the (Bisley Model) stamp on the barrel.
Your serial# looks like 1896. The stamp began 1895. ???
The chambers sure look like 44 russian
the 2 line address is unusual but not unheard of
very interesting

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to thank everyone for their sage insight.

The very first Bisleys did not have the (Bisley Model) stamp on the barrel.
Your serial# looks like 1896. The stamp began 1895. ???
The chambers sure look like 44 russian
the 2 line address is unusual but not unheard of
very interesting
I got my premise on early production (1894 )from Colt's serial number lookup for 156422. This would seem to concur with wikipedia indicating "Bisleys were serial-numbered in the range of 156300–331916, in the same sequence as the Single Action Army" . I am not sure of the source for wiki's statement so take it with a grain of salt.

As far as cambering I have yet to fire the gun but finally have an appropriate heeled bullet mold. Ugh, I am not a fan of reloading heeled bullets and 44 Russian would be a lot easier. I am not sure I I have even come cross any old 44 American ammo in my travels over the years, Im sure it exist but certainly not common to me :). Thank you again

·
Registered
238 Posts
apu, have you slugged the bore yet? I would before I tried pushing a 44 American bullet thru it. Not a lot of difference between them, but better to know ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I misread your serial # as 166xxx. Sorry
44 american chambers have no ridge like your chambers do.
have you tried a Russian?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I believe the .44 Russian used an inside lubricated bullet from it's conception unlike the .44 American and .44 Colt. You can cut down .44 Spl. brass and use a common Lyman 429383 soft cast bullet over a slightly compressed charge of black powder for some great shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts