Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I shoot black powder, I'm always impressed.

Most recently, this past Sunday I loaded up some old balloon head .44 Special cases with FFFG Goex black powder and some 246 grain lead round nose bullets. I did not weigh the powder, just nearly filled the case and tapped it to settle it down enough to seat the bullets in a somewhat compressed load. Bullets were crimped, and out the door I went with a handful of blackpowder loaded .44 Special shells and this:

Cock the hammer...squeeze the trigger...BOOM!!!!

OMG!!:D:cool::cool::D:cool::D:cool::D 44 Special? What 44 Special? Surely that cloud of smoke and report that shook the Earth must have come from a 32-pounder that someone touched off in my back yard. Or so it seemed! I fired again...WOW!

It was like I was shooting...a real gun!! So much more amusing than smokeless!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Makes it worth the cleaning afterwards!! Nice looking Black Powder gun ya got there!

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
When my old Dillon press broke down years ago for a while I just loaded black powder .45 Colts. Wow! An indoor range boss made me stop shooting that stuff out of a long barreled .45 Bisley 'cause no one else could see or breath. I loaded up a bunch of BP .44 specials for my Gren conversion. I think it was 28 grains with corn meal filler. Smells real good like a bakery when they go off. I dig the bevels on that little .44's cylinder. Is that the gun you just got? Here's my black powder only Gren .44 Special. It's not marked "black powder only" but I know it.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
When my old Dillon press broke down years ago for a while I just loaded black powder .45 Colts. Wow! An indoor range boss made me stop shooting that stuff out of a long barreled .45 Bisley 'cause no one else could see or breath. I loaded up a bunch of BP .44 specials for my Gren conversion. I think it was 28 grains with corn meal filler. Smells real good like a bakery when they go off. I dig the bevels on that little .44's cylinder. Is that the gun you just got? Here's my black powder only Gren .44 Special. It's not marked "black powder only" but I know it.
That's a great looking gun.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was at an indoor range with my 3rd Model Dragoon and resting my hand on a small rag while shooting. I didn't notice that the rag had fallen on the floor just in front of the bench until the guy next to me started yelling "Fire, Fire". The embers spewing from the muzzle of that hand canon had caught the rag on fire.

Shoot em in the dark an watch the fire and brimstone shoot out for a foot or two.
Mac

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...I dig the bevels on that little .44's cylinder. Is that the gun you just got?...
Nope, actually it's an Uberti Cattleman that I've had for about about 10 years now. Kind of a funny (in hind sight) little story behind it. Ten years ago I spent four and a half months living in a nursing home while recovering from a broken neck. During this time I was not able to drive or stay at my own residence, and my gun collection was being held by several friends for safe keeping. While sitting around my room in the nursing home with something like a consruction scaffolding bolted into my skull, I had alot of time to watch old Westerns on TV/VCR. Only problem was...no guns to fondle!!!:eek: And my friends didn't feel comfortable "smuggling" pistols into the nursing home! :eek::eek:While well meaning, they left me with no option: time to go shopping! Picked up a couple Davis derringers (.32 acp and a .22 mag) and ordered this Cimarron Uberti Cattleman .44 Special. I think it speeded up my recovery!;)

Here's the new Colt .44 Special:

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Smokeless powder is just a passing fad...........

rayb

Reactions: B.C.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is sharp! For some reason I've never been much of a fan of cartridge conversions, but that looks good! How does it shoot?

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
That is sharp! For some reason I've never been much of a fan of cartridge conversions, but that looks good! How does it shoot?
It is one of my best shooters. I had a target around here with about a 3" offhand group at 25 yards. I found it half converted at a gun show and bought it for $225. Then had John Gren line the bore (.429), make an ejector and loading gate from scratch, plug the rammer hole, and thank God, at the last minute had him put a taller front sight on it. then he blued it. Funny, this gun already had Colt marlkings restamped on it, but the screws are metric. Gren made the front sight for 200 grain bullets by his choice, but 215 grains with 28 grns of BP is just right. It's an eccentric revolver, with certain things you must mechanically be careful of, but I'm used to it all. He only charged me $200 to do all that stuff. Gren made a couple conversions for Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner, then he started his unfortunate downward spiral with emotional problems of some sort. Nice guy. He still owed me around $175 on another project, but I don't care. I just hope he got over those problems. Here's the markings that some unknown gunsmith put on my .44.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
That's like knee-socks on a buffalo...distinctly European.
I'm always amazed how you can explain things in a handful of word that takes me three paragraphs. There's a subtle metaphore in there somewhere comparing the wide open spaces of Montana and the claustrophobic crampness of city, or semi city living that must give you an uncluttered way to make a point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts