Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed some light on the provenance of a Model 1862 Pocket Navy that appears original from condition of blueing and minor pitting, with some traces of silver on backstrap and trigger guard, but seems to have too many serial numbers to be either a reissue Blackpowder series or an original. Address on barrel is COL SAML COLT NEW YORK - NEW YORK U.S.AMERICA but serial numbers on frame, trigger guard, and heel are 6 digits 2353XX. Serial number on cylinder is the last 5 digits. Serial number on loading lever is last 4 digits. Serial number on wedge is last 5 digits. No Italian proof marks or other indications of mfg. Barrel is 1/2 inch shorter than a 2nd generation "F" series Blackpowder Pocket Navy that I own. The Caliber is .31 marked on trigger guard assembly.
New to the forum, so please excuse any faux pas in starting this thread.
Thanks
granger903

·
Registered
66 Posts
I thought Pocket Navies were all .36 caliber. The term "Navy" applied to Colt revolvers always meant .36 caliber I believe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pocket Navy

Yes, that is my understanding also. It is clearly a .31 caliber, but it looks like a Pocket Navy in all other respects. I'm wondering if this is an1849 Pocket Model? The caliber is correct and both the Pocket Navy and 1849 Pocket Model had a stagecoach holdup scene, I believe. I don't know the serial number range for the 1849 Pocket Model, though.
thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Pocket Model 49 barrels are 3”, 4”, 5” and 6”. Serial numbers are c. 12 000 – 331 000. Cylinder scene is a stagecoach hold-up, 5 or 6 shot, calibre is .31.
Pocket-Navy Model 62 barrels are 4.5”, 5.5” and 6.5”. Serial numbers are c. 20 000 - 47 000.
Cylinders are rebated, scene as 49 Pocket, 5 shot, calibre 36. Some triggerguards are found with .31 cal stamping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pocket blackpowder

Thanks. The serial number range confirms that this is a pocket model1849. I really appreciate the information.
Do you know approximate dates for ranges of serial numbers?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts