Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have read several posts before and now some after. Most of the posts say this is a myth but it happened to me....today!

Thank goodness I was just training but I recently purchased a colt officer’s 45 ACP blued pistol (not the enhanced or lightweight). It was bone stock, original owner and lightly used. I put about 300 rounds down range and had some occasional hang ups that were magazine related. I replaced the followers in the original mags with some metal form followers and after reading some posts, decided to get a Wolff 22 lb spring kit (not 24 lb) from brownells.

Replaced the followers and recoil spring. I went to the range today and was shooting away. I noticed a huge difference in the cyclic rate of the pistol, was very pleased. After about a magazine and a half, POW! The stock recoil plug went down range.

I found what parts I could and determined that the plug broke right at the point where it seats in the slide.

My question is this. I am wondering what to do for a replacement plug. I do not want to do any mods to the gun for a custom fit. I have read a bit about these Clark "drop in" reverse plugs. Any opinions one way or the other from the folks here?

Do not know if it was from the Wolf spring or it was just time for it to go. The gun was very clean and original and I was shooting 230 grain federal JHP. No +P stuff or any hand loads.

Opinions??

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I had a stainless Officer's Model and the same thing happened to me. The recoil plug at the time was made with some defective metals and therefore in short order, it failed. Got a new one from Colt and the plug never failed in the time I owned it. I would suggest contacting Colt or just purchase a replacement and hope it is a newer replacement plug.

·
Registered
777 Posts
This was always a weakness in the Officer design. When I first bought my new Officer in the 80's the first thing I did was to upgrade to a more reliable recoil plug. It has been about 30 years since I shot it and seem to remember that there was only a small tab that prevented the recoil plug from breaking free. It was not a matter of bad materials but rather a weaker design.

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
I believe that Jack First Gun Parts makes and sells the OEM type Officers plug.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses

Purchased two "drop in" type recoil plugs from the site suggested at Officer Model Drop In Plug - Bulletproof . Will give a range report by weeks end (I hope) . Plan on putting 250+ rounds down range. I asked when I called but they did not have a barrel bushing. Hope that is not the next thing to go......

Birdog009

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do not have time to post pics, sorry. Only had time to shoot 50 rnds of ball ammo today. Gun shot fine. I got home and dismantled it. The plug is cracked length wise along the flat side opposite the side with the keyway. Not happy. I think my spring is to blame. It came out severely deformed and bent on the narrower end that goes on the guide rod. You cannot even roll it on the work bench. I think they may have sent me the wrong spring. I read the envelope it came in and confirmed it is a Wolff 22 lb spring for officer’s model and 1991 compact with stock guide rod assembly. A little puzzled here. Going to put the stock spring back in and new plug....stay tuned....

·
Registered
491 Posts
DSCF2925.jpg DSCF2927.jpg DSCF2929.jpg DSCF2930.jpg Just to add some info, I replaced my original split, plug with a Ed Brown. Shot it for years with no problems, other than changing the recoil spring.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes you have to fit the plug to the slide. The kit comes with simple instructions. I had to modify the slide where the plug guide went through. Approximately 3/32 " to file off the slide where the plug rest against it.

I do know Wolfe makes few recoil springs for the Officers Model, depending on the diameter of the guide rod. I had to call Wolfe to get the proper size for the Ed Brown guide.

If you need more info I can try copying the instructions for you, then you can decide if you want to attempt to install the kit. Let me know.

Reactions: MikenAZ

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've been after an Officers ACP for awhile. Well yesterday I finally aquired one. Series 80, MK IV, steel frame 98%. How common is this recoil spring plug issue? Is it not an if but when it happens situation? I will admit this is my first foray into the "anything newer than a 70 series zone" so admitedly I have not payed any attention to these pistols.

Obviously if a guy intends to use this as a defensive weapon it has to be 110% reliable. I am going to shoot it today to see if it is even worth keeping. If I decide to keep it, would it be wise to simply avoid the possibility of breakage and change the plug right away?

If the pistol is alterred to use the new A/M plug, does it show outwardly and does it render the pistol unable to have the original parts reinstalled?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think I will call Jack First & Order a extra for My Officer's ACP,If i am understanding correctly the one they sell i a exact coy of the original? I do not want to modify My gun at all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, kudos to Clark's gun where I purchased the drop in plug. They were amazed that I broke it after 50 rnds and could not send me a new one fast enough. Stood by their product. I am going to put the new one in this week and get to the range again. Going to also put the original dual colt spring back in and see how it goes. I also do not want alter the gun in any way like the Ed brown set up although I am sure it is a reliable deal. Will let you know.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I've been after an Officers ACP for awhile. Well yesterday I finally aquired one. Series 80, MK IV, steel frame 98%. How common is this recoil spring plug issue? Is it not an if but when it happens situation? I will admit this is my first foray into the "anything newer than a 70 series zone" so admitedly I have not payed any attention to these pistols.
Ratzo, I've owned two OACPs over the past 20+ years and have never had a recoil spring or plug issue in either weapon. I still own one of them, made in 1990, and have put thousands of rounds downrange through it. To this day it shows no excessive wear or detectable weakness. It just keeps on chunking away with no problems other than the occasional FTE with steel cartridges, which I discontinued years ago.

This has been a fascinating thread, though. I carried my LW OACP concealed for the last eight years, but retired it recently because I don't want to risk abuse or loss to a rogue LE agency should I ever have to use it in self defense. It still comes out at the backyard range for regular use, however. Anyways, I believe I will order a replacement kit just in case. I've never modified it for any reason and will certainly attempt to use only genuine Colt parts. Guess I'm just one of those silly old guys who thinks "keeping it stock" will retain or enhance its value. Just my .02 worth.

Ed
Major Dad

Colt ACP 12-31-11.jpg

Reactions: Ratzo

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks Ed, I will leave it stock because I am also one of those silly old guy's who tend to leave stuff the way it was designed. I will add an ambi safety because I am gifted with lefthandedness but otherwise it will stay as designed. Never understood those people who buy a product that R&D put millions into, and think that for $39.95 they can improve upon it.

It shoots low and right but I can deal with that easy enough. Oddly it didn't like Winchester white box 230 gr FMJ. FTF on the last round. 200 gr Hornady TAP worked well. It loved my 200 gr H&G 68 cast with 5.2 of 231 handloads.

Again thanks.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I thought I would jump in again, if that's ok. :)

I think it is wise not to fix what isn't broke. My plug broke. I was surprised when I saw the split when I stripped it down for a cleaning because it was still firing with no malfunctions. When I searched out a replacement years ago, no one was making " a drop in replacement plug". So I purchased a Ed Brown. I guess the problem of the design by Colt prompted other manufactures to come up with alternate solutions. Good things come with time I guess.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

Sorry it took so long.

Shot a mixture of 250 rounds of American eagle 230 gr ball and Federal 230 grain JHP. Had about 3-4 ftf/fte with the federal but I am chalking that up to weak hand hold.

The ball ran flawlessly

Here is a picture of the last 50 rounds. 25 yards both two handed and one handed unsupported and timed. Very pleased with gun.

The cleaning showed no damage or even wear to the new Clark recoil plug. Using the stock double colt spring.

Thanks for the input and help.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nothing wrong with that! Good to hear everything turned out ok. I wasn't familiar with this phenomenon either, good info to have. Sounds like they will either break or they won't, so being prepared is a good thing indeed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts