Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the current Blue Book value of a Python, 6" barrel, 80% condition, Nickle finish, original rubber grips?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Why would you want Blue Book value and not current market value ?
80% Nickel finish is not gonna be any easy sell.
Most Colt collectors are looking for minty examples.
80% on a Nickel Python would be pretty bad and need a refinish.
Please take that into consideration when factoring your price.
FYI:No Nickel Pythons came from the factory with Rubber grips (at least to the best of my knowledge)
Now that I think about it, I would be very careful with a Python that is rated at 80% finish in Nickel, because it's probably run a very hard life and may have timing problems or very worn parts.
Be careful if you're the buyer on that one.
You didn't specify if you're trying to buy or sell this Python.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has finish wear from rubbing up against something. I know the original owner and he says it has about 500 rounds through it. It has the gold medallion rubber grips and I thought that they were factory. I could be wrong. I would prefer walnut, but it is what it is. It locks up tight. I have seen it and am rating it at 80% (ultra conservative) in order to get a value for a potential purchase. I also don't have a new Blue Book. I won't pay over 80% value on this one, so, if anyone would have some info it would be greatly appreciated.

(As far as wear goes I would rate it at 95%+, but the nickle looks bad in a couple of spots)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
FWIW, 26th Edition BB for 80% nickel = $475, 95% = $675. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the Nickle, 6" Pythons ever came with Gold Colt Medallion rubber grips?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Not a Python authority at all, but it was my impression that they were a phenomenon of the stainless Pythons. If that Python was manufactured in the same time frame as the stainless, who knows? Only the Colt historian knows in the absence of the serialed box with label. I gather that even the Colt records may or may not say. What is the DOM? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
With Pythons (or most Colt these days) even finish worn ones you can toss out the Blue Book.
Unless the wear is holster wear I would carefully consider the only 500 rounds down the tube. Where are the finish worn spots?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The worn spot is on the side of the cylinder where it appears to have been in a glove box or other area while traveling where something hard wore off the finish in a couple of areas. Other than that it looks perfect. I didn't get the serial # when I was looking at it so I don't know the date o manufacture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts