Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some good info from Jeff(Gunkwazy) and others on using Mothers -I just did an engraved S & W and it worked great --------Flitz and Mothers --same procedure for blued guns ??? Thanks in advance!!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
NO.
Mother's is abrasive and will quickly strip the bluing off.

Flitz is also an abrasive, albeit a milder one.
Some people use it occasionally to clean a blued gun, but be warned, it too will thin and remove the bluing.
Rub hard and it'll do it immediately.

Rub gently and it'll still thin the bluing, but it'll take longer before the wear becomes noticeable.

The best treatments for delicate blued finishes is a coat of a good rust preventing lube like CLP Breakfree, or a good wax like Renaissance or Johnson's Paste Floor Wax.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I uesd Johnson's Paste Floor Wax on all my blue guns,

·
Registered
568 Posts
Flitz has various types, the one I use is labelled as safe for bluing, and it hasn't hurt an Anschutz Match 54, or S&W revolver that I've used it on to remove light rusting and for general cleaning.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you look closely at Flitz products you'll see there is Flitz Polish and Flitz Wax. The polish is the abrasive and in my experience comes in a tube. I use it on stainless and nickle guns. The Flitz Wax is just that--a protecting wax. It is the one that is labelled as safe on blued guns. I use it on mine and have been for some time with no problems.
Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts