Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Messed up the search and it wouldn't let me search again.

Anyone know how rare, (well not rare) they are?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
FWIW, just from the BB, 2.5 in blue and ultimate stainless were made for the shortest time (2 yrs). Blue of all lengths were made for 6 years. Stainless were made about 10 yrs and ultimate stainless for 4 yrs. Doesn't pin down the quantities, but as you know it is a measure of scarcity often applied. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Bowhunter,
Majic kind of summed it up in one sentence.
It's the truth and nobody has production figures besides maybe Colt themselves. The Blue book is too vague to answer anything seriously.
For the most part, I tend to see about 10-20 stainless to 1 Blued one. It seems as though I can go for a long stretch with out seeing any blued ones and then I'll see 2. It's just strange that way. That includes the auction sites as well.
As far as bringing a premium, I don't see the blued ones doing that even though they are much tougher to find.
I just think that most people think of the King Cobra as a working gun and not so much a collectible like the Python.
I've seen mostly 4 & 6 inchers, although that goes for both Blued & Stainless versions. The snubbie King Cobras are really a tough find and don't show up for sale very often at all.
Then there's the Lew Horton Combat Cobra. You'll dig deep in the wallet to get one of those. Usually in the $800-$1000 range from what I've seen.
the 4 & 6 inch Blued and stainless King Cobras tend to bring about $450-$550 depending on condition, finish, paperwork & box.
Although I have seen a couple Bright Stainless MIB guns go for more.
Hope that helps a little bit more.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have seen just one really nice 2 1/2" blued KC up for sale. Unfortunately I had just bought the CC and a Python and my pennies came up short. Those little snub KCs are hard to find. You don't even hear people talking of them. I think they had a very limited run. I do know the CC had a run of 1000 for Lew Horton.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a ton guys. Just what I figured. I saw a blued 6" on an auction site a few months ago, and he was asking a pretty penny. See the stainless all over, but rarely the blue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts