Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Casehardened and Blued.

At one time, I lusted after a nickel-plated 7 1/2" .45.

Finally got one - a late one, with plain walnuts - all pretty and shiny and mine, all mine...

After awhile, though, every time I looked at it, it seemed to get 'bigger', somehow - until it was the size of the bumper on a '54 Buick.

Fortunately for me, a buddy liked it just fine, so we swapped, and I got one of the new Smith & Wesson Schofields in the fitted oak case, with all associated papers.

I 'know' that in the days of the Old West, that nickel was the equivalent of today's stainless finish - but for 'me' - there was just too much of it with that long-barreled Colt.

Now maybe a short-barreled .45 might be different...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Just curious what finish you guys like best.

I myself lean towards nickel with the standard black grips.
You mean like this?

I find it hard to decide between blue & Ivory and nickel & pearl:

Reactions: LEO918

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Or is it blue & pearl and nickel & Ivory?

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Just me, but I've always preferred blue/casehardened to nickel. I've got plenty of nickel SAA's, but like the blued one's best. And paired with Ivory grips they really look good. When nickel get old or wears it can flake which looks horrible, but when bluing wears it looks just fine to me.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
My preference is the blued/color case guns. However, I actually do own more nickel guns for some unknown reason. Um...wonder why?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have a nickel Mustang Gove w/pearls and a blue Mustang Pocketlite with stags. The blue is awful nice.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
For those who don't like the bling of bright nickel, you can always go with an antique nickel finish. Here's a sample from Nutmeg Sports :cool:

John Gross

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Blue/Case the classic, I also have both but I also have silver plate and blue is still my choice if you get down to the nitty. The funny thing is Nickel costs more but the blue and case should cost more since the procedure is longer to produce the gun.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
More stages to go through to get to the finished product.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Real cowboys carried work horses in blue. Pimps and gamblers carried nickel to be fancy pants. What was general Pattons quote? Only pimps in a Louisiana whore house would carry s MOP grips on a SA. Or something to that effect.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
My 'show & tell' ---- 1891 .38 Colt SAA (lettered) I got it full blue & had the frame color-cased by Turnbulls. I like ivory grips but this one looks so 'right' to me it'll stay like it is.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts