Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen any later Detectives / DBs, etc with a very flat almost bead-blasted blue factory finish?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
A1A- Colt made a no frills,"lower cost" Detective Special,with a flat matte finish,and minimal external polishing,around 1983-85,or so. It was called the "Commando Special",sorta after the military version of the Official Police,that served in W.W. Two,called the Commando. You may have seen one these 1983-85 guns,as they look like a 2"D.S.

Seems we had a thread here,a while back,on what type of grips they wore. Try the search function here on the Forum.as I recall some photos of one may have been shown. Hope this helps. Bud

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much, that was interesting. What I saw was actually a DB with a very flat blue finish, not park'ed. Thought perhaps it was something characteristic of later "less fancy" runs. Could have been an after market bead blast finish, but the markings looked good. Perhaps just a factory "blue variant" after all. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
A1A , yes I have a couple that are almost as you described and it appears mostly on the barrels. It's not matte or bead blast, but just duller less polished bluing. It is a factory "blue variant" as you said and I am reasonably sure it is all factory. JMHO HTH

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I also have the same as what Dick has described on 2 of my DB's barrels. Both the barrels are 6". One in 22 LR and the other in 38 Spec. I believe this condition is rather common.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
And appeared to be more previlant on the 6" as WS23 has stated.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts