Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to own a DS in the real near future. I want this gun for CC. I want to get one that is in really really nice shape. I want to put the holster wear on it. In time it will be my son or grand kids. Which finish holds up the best if there carried and maintained with a oil rag and regular cleanings to prevent rust??? Second.. Which finish retains there value the best...

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I'd say nickel also. The bluing will rub off over time and you'll have some as they say "honest" (holster) wear. A liitle blue worn off the end of the muzzle and around the high edges of the cylinder. That look isnt really that bad and you can still have a nice blue shine of the flats.
Now that I think of it, I'm not sure what a nickel gun looks like with holster wear. Would heavy holster wear,wear the nickel finish right down to the copper underneath? That might not look so good-probably worse than a little bluing rub.
I had a nickel DS with milky looking nickel which I cleaned up real well with flitz and ren wax but I dont think id call it holster wear, probably just aging of the finish.
So, maybe someone here can show a picture of a nickel revolver with what you would call holster wear-not flaking nickel or milky nickel or scratched nickel -just rubbed nickel from years of holster use. Then you could see a comparison of honest blue wear vs. honest nickel wear and then make your decision.

·
Premium Member
9,515 Posts
Makes no sense to add wear to a collectible old gun that has none. Just start with one with a little wear and hold there.

I pocket-carried a nickel Model 38 Smith & Wesson for a decade or so, until the Kel-Tec P11 came out to replace it, and it never acquired any visible wear. Therefore, select a nice nickel Detective Special and a good lined holster and the gun will take decades to show any significant wear to the finish.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you will invest in a high grade lined holster, you won't have to worry about holster wear too much, unless you intend to have a wrestling match while wearing it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's unanimous .............. the CF (and I) generally agree on a nickel finished DS with a well lined holster.

Shadow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts