Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Blue Wonder to touch up bluing? There is a video on their webpage but it is hard to see the results in detail.

Thaks,
John

·
Registered
36 Posts
YES, it is great stuff.Just follow directions carefully,its easy to use.I've done whole guns and touch ups on spots.You can adjust the color by repeating steps,when you get the best match you can,put on the finisher and your done.Thier gun cleaner is a good product to.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Chemically, it's interesting, but when they carelessly scrub large areas of a touch up with steel wool, it makes you "wonder". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
I've never quite understood how wiping blued steel with steel wool will somehow make it look better.

I don't even like to wipe blued steel with anything other than a soft cloth!

·
Registered
345 Posts
John
That's some of the best touch-up cold blueing I ever used.I use a hair dryer instead of a torch though.You also need to let the gun set a day or two for the stuff to last longer.Don't use oil afterwards is what I mean to say.It gives a grayish tint like some of the older blue that Colt used before the war.Or it can be made to look darker too with more applications.They make a black kit too.I've not used that one.If you experiment with it then you'll find it's limitations.I've found out that it's something that still can't pass a trained eye,which is good cause I'd hate to buy a gun that has been doctored up as something it's not.

As far as whole guns go.I don't think I'd do that.It will rub off with too much handleing.It's got it's purpose,and that is touch-up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts