Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard if Colt plans to produce a blued version of the new Python? I have made repeated attempts to contact Colt but their phone lines seem to be down or something. I know colt has had it's problems, so I hope it is not a financial thing with lack of employees for contact. I am thinking of purchasing a new Python, especially if they will have a blued version but have reservations if they are having problems with finances or staffing.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Has anyone heard if Colt plans to produce a blued version of the new Python? I have made repeated attempts to contact Colt but their phone lines seem to be down or something. I know colt has had it's problems, so I hope it is not a financial thing with lack of employees for contact. I am thinking of purchasing a new Python, especially if they will have a blued version but have reservations if they are having problems with finances or staffing.
If they don't make a blue Python my guess is it has to do with competent polishers.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,381 Posts
For new DA revolvers Colt seems to be following the market preference, which is for stainless steel.
The American revolver buyer pretty much made it clear that they prefer stainless over carbon steel.

Colt has already produced the new small frame in black finishes, so that might be how they'll go, at least at first.
Options would be to use one of the methods of blackening stainless steel, or possibly using black chrome.

If there ever is a carbon steel Royal Blue Python it'll almost certainly be a limited production model at a high cost.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it’s so difficult and expensive, how does the competitor in Springfield do it with the classic series? I know they aren’t Royal Blue, but still, it is bluing at least.

·
Registered
10,473 Posts
If it’s so difficult and expensive, how does the competitor in Springfield do it with the classic series? I know they aren’t Royal Blue, but still, it is bluing at least.
MIM parts...non-Union workers...maybe even outsource the bluing and polishing.

Reactions: BusaDave

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,381 Posts
There's a big difference in polishing a slab side automatic slide and frame, and the complex contours of a revolver.

Polishing a revolver is about as much art as skill.
In the old days Colt was essentially running a polishing school where new employees were given extensive training on polishing.
Only after instruction and practicing were new polishers put on the lower cost models like the Official Police, with an experienced instructor literally standing right behind them looking over their shoulder and giving directions.

Only the most experienced and talented polishers were allowed to work on the Python where slips or mistakes couldn't be allowed.
The company employees that do blued firearms today for other gun makers wouldn't be allowed on the line at the old Colt without full re-training.

If Colt ever does offer an actual Royal Blued carbon steel Python, I'm betting they farm the work out to a top refinisher company who have people that are up to the task.
Those companies have people with years of experience polishing metal 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and have the proper polishing equipment.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I wonder if a good robotic CNC polishing machine would be cost effective. It could certainly do the job, robots paint automobiles now, build silicon chips, retrieve gold coins from shipwrecks at 1,000 feet under the ocean. You set it up, it's sensors read the surface, the robot ensures no edges get rounded. Automation is better than you can imagine today. But it costs, and they have to sell a lot of Pythons to pay it off. Because most gun owners want "hard chrome" or "super sticky tacti-cool" finishes today anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Could Colt offer nitrided versions of their stainless steel models? I don't know much about the metallurgy of this, but a very brief Google search made it seem possible to nitride stainless steel for a blue/black (dark) finish. If so, then this finish could be offered without requiring new non-stainless parts or, possibly, additional polishing beyond what's currently done. Not the same as the old Royal Blue finish, of course, but if possible, it could be another option.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,381 Posts
Could Colt offer nitrided versions of their stainless steel models? I don't know much about the metallurgy of this, but a very brief Google search made it seem possible to nitride stainless steel for a blue/black (dark) finish. If so, then this finish could be offered without requiring new non-stainless parts or, possibly, additional polishing beyond what's currently done. Not the same as the old Royal Blue finish, of course, but if possible, it could be another option.
Nitride is a possible option.
My buddy has his Bartline match barrels nitrided and they come out black.
I assume that if the stainless is polished the Nitride would have a shiny finish.

Colt obviously has a method of blackening stainless since they're offering at least one model of the new Cobra in a flat black finish.
The problem with a shiny blue-black Python isn't what type of finish that could be done, it's the polishing of the metal.
The old Colt Royal Blue as used on the Python was 95% hand polishing. The exact same type of bluing chemicals were used on all other Colt models and is used by all other gun makers.
It's the high level of polishing that gave the Python the blue mirror look, and that takes a highly experienced worker.
That level of people don't work for minimum wage, and the cost would put the price VERY high.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If Colt ever does offer an actual Royal Blued carbon steel Python, I'm betting they farm the work out to a top refinisher company who have people that are up to the task.
Those companies have people with years of experience polishing metal 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and have the proper polishing equipment.
:) Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe Colt will come out with a special edition blued Python at some point, maybe a Talo gun. It will probably be blued by Barons or Turnbull, etc., in other words outsourced by Colt.

The price will be steep and collectors will buy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Also, on the original Pythons, they may all be called Royal Blue but a lot of them look black and don't have the blue, deep, mirror finish.

Some Colt polishers were much better than others.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,381 Posts
The blue versus black Pythons were due to a change in the bluing chemicals Colt used.

The change happened around 1969 with the introduction of the Colt Mark III series.
Prior to that Colt's had a more blue color, but with the change the color became more black.
The Colt Mark III series had a much brighter polish then the older models, and they Python retained it's Royal Blue higher polish, just in a more black color.

The brightness of the polish was something that happened over time. The 1950's Pythons had the more "wet look" polish, but over the years it did change gradually to a slightly less wet look polish.
The Python was still better polished than any other production gun made in America.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts