Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a Detective Special with a 3" barrel. It is in good condition, it is not in new or mint condition. It is a shooter. Would it be dumb to bob the hammer to facilitate more comfortable carry? Thank you and happy New Year.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I suppose most people would tell you not to do that, but it's your gun, so do as you please. Just as an fyi, I learned by accident that a "half-bob" works better than you might think. There's still enough hammer to thumb, but it won't dig in to you nearly as much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose most people would tell you not to do that, but it's your gun, so do as you please. Just as an fyi, I learned by accident that a "half-bob" works better than you might think. There's still enough hammer to thumb, but it won't dig in to you nearly as much.
Thank you! I did not think of a "half-bob." Great idea. I still want to hear form the don't do it side. I hesitate to grind on a no longer made gun and I can't find a hammer shroud but I want to carry it.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I recently bobbed one myself. I have a old like new 3" model 36 S&W. Somehow the spur broke off and I bought a dremel and bobbed it myself as I couldn't find another hammer on short notice. Bought some cold blue and for me, surprisingly it turned out well. I also had a Smith model 60 bobbed many years ago to where it also was possible to cock it carefully single action. IF you can find a replacement hammer I would bob it and keep the original. Jack First might have one.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Why don't you buy a spare hammer and bob it? Or even try to find one that's already bobbed, so you don't have to butcher a good hammer? I don't know how many times I have had to hunt down hammers for customers wanting their guns "unbobbed", so it might be a good idea to keep the original hammer intact. DS hammers are pretty easy to come by, but one day people will start wondering where they all went.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently bobbed one myself. I have a old like new 3" model 36 S&W. Somehow the spur broke off and I bought a dremel and bobbed it myself as I couldn't find another hammer on short notice. Bought some cold blue and for me, surprisingly it turned out well. I also had a Smith model 60 bobbed many years ago to where it also was possible to cock it carefully single action. IF you can find a replacement hammer I would bob it and keep the original. Jack First might have one.
Thank you. I think I will get a replacement hammer and bob that. Great idea. On a side note, I am a Smith and Wesson guy and love the Model 60. I carry a Model 49 which has a shrouded hammer but I want to rotate with the cool Detective Special. I wish I had a 3" model 36, it would be a great carry piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why don't you buy a spare hammer and bob it? Or even try to find one that's already bobbed, so you don't have to butcher a good hammer? I don't know how many times I have had to hunt down hammers for customers wanting their guns "unbobbed", so it might be a good idea to keep the original hammer intact. DS hammers are pretty easy to come by, but one day people will start wondering where they all went.
Great idea, thank you. I will look for a spare hammer and keep the original untouched.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't there some kind of a hammer shroud that you can get for a DS, to make it more like the Model 49?
Yes they exist but I can't find one. It also involves modification (drilling and tapping) of the frame. Something to consider. Thank you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My father's Model 36 was stolen years ago by a former employee. A few years afterward the police department called and said they had it and it was returned to my father. The back of the hammer was broken off and kinda sharp ended. After my father passed I inherited it. While looking for a holster for it I had a gunsmith round the hammer a bit to make it smoother. It is not a carry piece and I have purchased a new full hammer for it but I haven't had it replaced. It means a lot to me as it was my father's gun he had for protection at the house. I don't know if he ever fired it and other than the bobbed hammer it is in beautiful shape.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Great idea, thank you. I will look for a spare hammer and keep the original untouched.
You can find used D frame hammers on ebay for cheap. You could even find an already "bobbed" one that has enough material to do it again properly, these are even cheaper.

I have 2 blue D frame snubbies that I use for carry sometimes. I wanted a bobbed hammer on one so I went to ebay. Ended up finding an already bobbed nickel hammer and got it for literally cents. The hammer had enough left to do a "proper" bob, as not everyone bobs a hammer attractively. Also didn't care it was a nickel hammer and my guns are blued. They are work guns and that's the whole point of swapping parts so the gun can be put back to original if desired. I even have 2 NOS nickel triggers, which I would use if needed. For working guns, function beats cosmetics.

I never did use or install that hammer though. Ended up with a whole new carry piece instead.

Reactions: Bajadoc
1 - 13 of 13 Posts