Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3rd issue (made 1974 era) Colt Agent that I want to start carrying in my pocket. I want to have a gunsmith take off the hammer spur to make the revolver DAO. Will I have to have the hammer spring replaced when I have this done?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
There is no physical reason related to spur removal why you would need to that I can see. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
he is thinking the slightly less mass of the bobbed hammer may require a stronger mainspring.i would not think so but you might get 2 primed cases and measure before and after.personally I would just buy a hamerless gun and not cut anything. just remember you are cutting off 100$ PLUS what the gunsmith charges or about 1/2 the price of a shooter grade hamerless. jmho /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this agent that I have is definately a shooter. the finish is worn and the gun has been well used. I think that I can get the hammer bobbed for much less than 100.00 and there is no plans on ever selling this one.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
See if you can find a Colt hammer shroud. One hole has to be drilled in top of frame(and tapped) and I think upper sideplate screw holds the other screw hole in the shroud. Tip of hammer comes through the shroud,if you ever need to use the SA mode.

As I mentioned on an earlier post,I carried a S&W Bodyguard,and I carried it in a pocket,usually an inside one in a leather flight jacket,so I know where you are coming from in NOT wanting the hammer spur to hang up on the draw(let alone ripping the pocket inside). At least with a shroud,you can use the S.A. for accurate shooting from afar,as I had to do once,with a rabid,or feral dog who was attacking a group of toddlers.

Good Luck,
Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I thought about the mass thing, but decided that the spring force was probably the main factor in this design. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Edited to say: Good suggestion by lonewolf. There used to be one now and then on EBay for reasonable, but everything is less frequent and more expensive now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great site, thanks. I just may order one of those and see how I like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anybody have any suggestions on where I could locate an origina Colt hammer shroud vs a Waller & Son hammer shroud??? Thanks!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
One used to show up on EBay every now and then - mostly then. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don't worry about ignition with a bobbed hammer. As long as no one has screwed with the mainspring, the loss of hammer weight will be well compensated for by a faster moving hammer, and reduced lock time. I have bobbed hammers for years(and lost collector value) on a number of revolvers. Fortunately I only did it to one Colt DS, and prior to doing so removed the original hammer, bought a replacement from Numrich Arms, and bobbed the spare. then I came to my senses and have not sold a single decent Colt since, too son old, and too late smart.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Fortunately I only did it to one Colt DS, and prior to doing so removed the original hammer, bought a replacement from Numrich Arms, and bobbed the spare.

[/ QUOTE ] well done hipshot!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts