Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
NRA Benefactor 11B2P
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching Bonanza today. Episode 26 with Vic Morrow. He was carrying and using a SAA with white handles. I assume still in the dark in this area. As he was having a conversation with a young boy who was in awe of his style the young boy said to the Morrow character. “No trigger huh”. Referencing his SAA. “Yea he replies my dad gave it to me “. I had never seen a firearm with out a trigger. But he won the gunfight with it. Is no trigger as much as an anomaly as I would believe?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've seen Westerns with the shooters firing rapidly and if you look close, you will see they are using Colt New Services with an ejector rod attached to the barrel make it appear to be a SAA. Bonanza was a very popular TV show but the characters were all grown men, living with their father and wore the same clothes all the time. None of them ever married and Old Ben buried three wives. He should have been investigated.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Social Services should've investigated the Cartwright home.

·
Registered
982 Posts
“No trigger huh”. Referencing his SAA. “Yea he replies my dad gave it to me “. I had never seen a firearm with out a trigger. But he won the gunfight with it. Is no trigger as much as an anomaly as I would believe?
Vague memory from reading about 30 years ago but wasn't Elmer Keith experimenting at some time with a "slip hammer" and no trigger?

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
That’s a pretty good episode (for Bonanza) because of Vic Morrow. “Little Joe” and Hoss don’t wear their guns in this one. I have a feeling Vic Morrow’s gun might be the one Joe usually carried. I don’t recall the “no trigger” comment, but it could have still actually had the trigger. Unless you saw it removed in a close up.
I think “CSI Virginia City“ should have checkEd out Ben Cartwright. How come all his wife’s seem to die on him? looks suspicious to me.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I can't watch it anymore in re-runs because of the following warning that pops up on the screen just before the show begins:

"THIS PROGRAM CONTAINS OUTDATED CULTURAL DEPICTIONS"

I definitely wouldn't want to watch a show like that!

·
Registered
NRA Benefactor 11B2P
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s a pretty good episode (for Bonanza) because of Vic Morrow. “Little Joe” and Hoss don’t wear their guns in this one. I have a feeling Vic Morrow’s gun might be the one Joe usually carried. I don’t recall the “no trigger” comment, but it could have still actually had the trigger. Unless you saw it removed in a close up.
I think “CSI Virginia City“ should have checkEd out Ben Cartwright. How come all his wife’s seem to die on him? looks suspicious to me.
Ben couldn’t
Ben couldn’t have been that bad he went on to Command a Star Ship. Vic Morrow was in 2 episodes, different characters. Hoss and Joe had guns in this the 1960 episode because Ben and Adam were in jail to be hanged. They with Vic had to free them. I heard the kid say no trigger and Vic made the comment about getting the gun from his father. I couldn’t see the gun that well. Vic fanned the hammer, it was as fast as his Thompson. I was 3 when that episode came out. But I had Mattel 6 shooters by 5 and Ringo was my favorite song in 64. Good time to grow up. If I ever did.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
I've seen Westerns with the shooters firing rapidly and if you look close, you will see they are using Colt New Services with an ejector rod attached to the barrel make it appear to be a SAA. Bonanza was a very popular TV show but the characters were all grown men, living with their father and wore the same clothes all the time. None of them ever married and Old Ben buried three wives. He should have been investigated.
Did you ever hear Michael Landon's response to the all-men ranch? "There were a lot of rumors that the Cartwright boys were homosexual. Not true. But fortunately Hop Sing was."

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Always wondered why they used SAA's since the show is supposed to take place in the 1860's. I remember an episode they were talking about a young Abe Lincoln.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Ben couldn’t

Ben couldn’t have been that bad he went on to Command a Star Ship. Vic Morrow was in 2 episodes, different characters. Hoss and Joe had guns in this the 1960 episode because Ben and Adam were in jail to be hanged. They with Vic had to free them. I heard the kid say no trigger and Vic made the comment about getting the gun from his father. I couldn’t see the gun that well. Vic fanned the hammer, it was as fast as his Thompson. I was 3 when that episode came out. But I had Mattel 6 shooters by 5 and Ringo was my favorite song in 64. Good time to grow up. If I ever did.
I was three in 1960, too, and a few years later my TV hero was…..Vic Morrow in “Combat!”. And then Robert Conrad as James West. I had a Mattel Tommy Gun and played Sgt. Saunders in our giant back yard with a creek.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The time period for the television series is roughly between 1861 (Season 1) and 1867 (Season 13) during and shortly after the American Civil War, coinciding with the period Nevada Territory became a U.S. state. Here's the video of Vic and his trick gun:
go to the 44:00 part if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just know this: in the movie Tin Men, the character Sam says what my dad and I had been saying about Bonanza for a long time. Apologies for the NSFW language if you hunt down the clip. Definitely a favorite film of mine.

Was always a Gunsmoke guy but both shows made me want a SA gun in the worst way.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I remember reading about triggers being tied or wired back but not removed all together.
Believe it or not, I actually tried that back in 1969 with an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk in .357 caliber. Not my proudest moment. I didn't want to use any kind of wire, so I used a piece of rawhide boot lace. But it kept slipping, so I soon abandoned that idea. My buddy Chris suggested I disassemble the gun, drill a hole in the trigger and trigger guard, and bolt the trigger back. Rest assured, I did not do that. Looking back on it now, I'm not sure what I really wanted to accomplish.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts