Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Elk, stag, camel and giraffe are all common SAA bone grip materials. I found a pair of over size blanks a few days ago and spent some time yesterday fitting them up to a clean 2nd Gen gun. Not a lot of material to work with on some of the edges. But these are close. Still a bit of fitting to do but I like the look, price was good and thought I'd share. I am not a huge fan of 2 piece grips but they are much easier for me to fit properly. Either way they sure change the look of this 2nd Gen gun for the better IMO. And the grip, wet or dry seems to be excellent as is the weight and balance on a Colt SAA. Easily an compariable rival to ivory there. One thing for sure is anything that is a synthetic material no matter who makes it or how just doesn't seem appropriate on a SAA for me. Even a bad pair of bone grips looks better to me than a pair of fancy resin trying to imitate ivory.

I have a couple pair of Giraffe bone done from Nutmeg (and a bunch of their ivory) and found from this exercise, much to my surprise, that they offer more than a fair deal on Giraffe bone grips. Others grip makers may as well. I am now actually thinking Giraffe bone may be even a better answer than ivory for a SAA grip.

A few things I don't like about the new forum format but gotta say posting photos here now is a pleasure by comparison and so easy. Well done there!

The 2nd gun in this pair wears clean set of ram's horn from Roy Fishpaw. At least I have a nice pair of grips to emulate :)

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
As the available supply of pre ban Elephant Ivory shrinks and gets further regulated out of existence, I agree with Cosmo that there are some nice alternative antler, horn, bone and tusk choices available for consideration...and those choices have been there since man first fashioned a weapon to hunt. And, as fortune would have it, I was in the right spot at the right time and did manage to purchase a nice set for my Gold Cup National Match.

Sambar Stag has also been subjected to both good conservation laws as well as draconian national laws and tends to be available if and when the wind blows one way or another. Again, I was lucky enough to find a member here to provide me a beautiful pair of stocks for my Colt SAA.

But the supply of Elk, Deer, Ram, and other game that either shed their antlers or are culled seasonally to conserve the species also provide many an opportunity to be used for functional and decorative purpose. And then there is the bone and dentine of sea/land dwellers like the Whale and Walrus.

And even human domesticated animals like the Camel and Steer have had their bone used for decorative and functional purpose.

Elephant Ivory

Sambar Stag

American Elk Stag ( received yesterday, pic below to be updated )

American Bison Horn ( pic to be updated )

African Camel Bone

German Red Deer Stag

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am not a fan of an outer "pop corn" in general, on any sort of bone/antler. Bark on ivory was an acquired taste as well. Bark ivory use to be considered trash ivory. It wasn't until we all started to see the old antique guns start showing up with weathered, dried and cracked ivory that new "bark" ivory became a thing. The slow demise of the US ivory stocks eventually made "bark" ivory a viable commodity in the custom gun and knife trade. That and most importantly the gun magazines building the frenzy behind bark ivory in pretty pictures. I've seen grips made from several different types of antler that looked exactly like a many seasons old shed that some one found on the ground, all moldy and porous, insect and worm eaten. Not to my taste but the owners were all dang proud of them for sure. I think you could make a case for decent elk. These were custom grips that came way over size and unusable. The material was dang gum hard to cut and eventually make right. Harder to cut down than the bone I showed on top and way harder than any ivory or wood I have cut. And even these I'd consider too porous. I need to seal them with a clear epoxy then refinish the surface just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Smooth Elk

Mild "popcorn" or the "bark" on stag

"new" Bark ivory... by Mike Poulin

and Dan Chesiak

and old ivory with checking cracks...

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I bought this early 2nd gen on the forum. I think it has the right look. But I also like the plain no bark look on some revolvers. Depends on the gun.

View attachment 701358
Beautiful Gun. Now you've done it. I just bought a fairly early .45 2nd Gen. (1967) with (Ho-Hum) Factory Walnut grips. I've been seeing a lot of Sambar Stag grips on SAAs and have been liking them more and more. Yours has just the right amount of bark as far as I'm concerned. If you ever decide you'd like a change to Factory Walnut (They're really not Ho-Hum ;)) drop me a line. How early is your gun? Mine came with a real nice Stage Coach Box.
Best,
Jerry L.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts

I bought these giraffe bone grips off eBay a few years ago and fitted them myself. I was looking for something other than wood or stag. I saw these and liked the different colors and the 'bark'. The yellow of the resin used to stabilize the bone also adds some contrast. The price was right at the time and frankly I like them better than ivory, which I have owned decades ago. Tom

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Those two piece grips look great on that gun. I could have sworn I actually saw a 5 1/5" SAA in a post of yours a while back but I must have been hallucinating. The only bone, not antler grips I have are these elks by Grashorn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts